SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Raspberry PI 4 for Skywatcher Star Adventurer

cjdawson

If your build goes as well as mine, it should be really useful.    I'm thinking about modifying my build some more by adding the 7" Official touch screen, but that's not 100% decided, it's something that I'll do after an upcoming start party.  Currently, I'm using a 15.6" hdmi panel.

• Like 2

building image right now running setupAstroRaspbianPi.sh for the 3rd time as crashed out twice already just hung the machine problems connecting to raspberrypi.org to retrieve data then I did an update before rerunning the script ok then failed in indi apogee strange I don't have any apogee kit rebooted and running again so far to good upto installing kstars

I'm not sure that the Ekos polar alignment routine will work with the SA.  As far as I recall, it (Ekos) wants to move the OTA to specific positions and plate solve to work out the actual position of the RA axis.  If it does work I'd love to know how so I can use it myself.

An alternative might be the drift alignment in openphd2, but I've no idea how that works.

James

36 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I'm not sure that the Ekos polar alignment routine will work with the SA.  As far as I recall, it (Ekos) wants to move the OTA to specific positions and plate solve to work out the actual position of the RA axis.  If it does work I'd love to know how so I can use it myself.

An alternative might be the drift alignment in openphd2, but I've no idea how that works.

James

Yep.   I figured the same thing about EKOS, but I also have PHD2 installed and both work.  I'm planning on tricking EKOS by use a simulator for the mount, then moving the mount manually.  Though, the more I think about it the more I'm preferring the idea of using the polar drift align tool in PHD2 to get me close enough.

It strikes me that if Ekos tells you where it's going to move the mount to (I can't recall now -- I set things up a couple of months back and can't for the life of me remember what it tells you) then you could probably fake the move with a Wixey on the counterweight shaft or something like that.  Bit of a faff, but might work.

Of the two nethods though, I think I'd probably go for PHD first, too.

James

I did this this approach three years ago with 3b and it works. For Fov reporting 0 x 0 make sure you have configured the imaging telescope and guidesope parameters when you load the profile .  This will also trigger blind astrometry  search AFAIK.

Then all you got to do is unlock the RA clutch and follow the instructions on ekos polar alignment screen.  It will ask you move 2 times , plate solve and plot the results .  More finicky part was to get the damn wedge to move precisely to where ekos thinks NCP/SCP is .

• Like 1

Flirc case turned up today and my son also arrived with my birthday present RPI4 straight in the case and hooked up to the power. bingo in business so far so good running at 45 degrees so cool as can be, even tried running gimp and barely moved in temp so now got to configure indi, one thing I dont like on Raspbian is file manager no admin access to edit files a pain in the neck have to use terminal and nano. Ex ubuntu user...

Andy

2 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Flirc case turned up today and my son also arrived with my birthday present RPI4 straight in the case and hooked up to the power. bingo in business so far so good running at 45 degrees so cool as can be, even tried running gimp and barely moved in temp so now got to configure indi, one thing I dont like on Raspbian is file manager no admin access to edit files a pain in the neck have to use terminal and nano. Ex ubuntu user...

Andy

open file manager as admin use pcmanfm in terminal

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CedricTheBrave said:

open file manager as admin use pcmanfm in terminal

So correct me if I am wrong terminal then run sudo pcmanfm ? what a pain in the …… also browsing local network a pain as well. that's Debian for you I suppose 

This is from the ubuntu wiki 

Raspberry Pi 🍓

Our Ubuntu 19.10 Raspberry Pi 32-bit and 64-bit preinstalled images (raspi3) now support the Raspberry Pi 4 platform out-of-the-box. With this, our images now support almost all modern flavors of the Raspberry Pi family of devices (Pi 2, Pi 3B, Pi 3B+, CM3, CM3+, Pi 4).

45 minutes ago, CedricTheBrave said:

This is from the ubuntu wiki 

Raspberry Pi 🍓

Our Ubuntu 19.10 Raspberry Pi 32-bit and 64-bit preinstalled images (raspi3) now support the Raspberry Pi 4 platform out-of-the-box. With this, our images now support almost all modern flavors of the Raspberry Pi family of devices (Pi 2, Pi 3B, Pi 3B+, CM3, CM3+, Pi 4).

Sorry, but that is incorrect, the only way to get Ubuntu mate on the PI4 is to use the server edition and than hack that about a bit a and it can work, but it does NOT work out of the box AFAIK... 😀

13 hours ago, fozzybear said:

So correct me if I am wrong terminal then run sudo pcmanfm ? what a pain in the …… also browsing local network a pain as well. that's Debian for you I suppose 

no thats Linux and Unix and everything Apple (cos it use's Linux/Unix at its heart)- all versions (well nearly) - big brother rules LOL

This works on some versions https://www.shellhacks.com/how-to-grant-root-access-user-root-privileges-linux/ and there are other ways 🙂 

BUT you do it accepting all the risks many will moan on about - still F1 is dangerous to many but its allowed because the individual wants to do it ! 🙂  If you(RPI) are NOT connected to the Internet then the risks are minimal IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stash_old said:

no thats Linux and Unix and everything Apple (cos it use's Linux/Unix at its heart)- all versions (well nearly) - big brother rules LOL

This works on some versions https://www.shellhacks.com/how-to-grant-root-access-user-root-privileges-linux/ and there are other ways 🙂 

BUT you do it accepting all the risks many will moan on about - still F1 is dangerous to many but its allowed because the individual wants to do it ! 🙂  If you(RPI) are NOT connected to the Internet then the risks are minimal IMO. 

Sudo pcmanfm, does give administrator rights  on raspbian, I use it all the time... :)

edit, , sorry I see now you were agreeing....I misread.. 😀👍

Edited by WanderingEye

19 hours ago, CedricTheBrave said:

why is the local network a pain? its just a pull down menu 'Network' on the filemanager! or are you talking about something else?

My problem was Samba not associated with correct windows workgroup now can see my windows network from rpi. thus using filemanager to edit samba conf file as admin but all ok now a bit of a learning curve Raspbian vs ubuntu 

• Like 2

I caved and decided that I wanted an ASIAIR, so bought one, which arrived on saturday.    Just had me first go with it.   ZWO ASI290MM connected to Mini Guide scope.   3 second exposures.  No problem getting stars in the FoV and focusing wasn't hard either.

Decided to see if I could point my camera to a star to see if I could achieve focus and immediately hit a problem,  couldn't see any stars in the FoV at all, no matter where I put the focus point, and no matter what exposure, I ended up running at ISO3200 and taking 5-10 second exposures.

This highlighted a huge problem in my setup - I don't know where it's pointing,   so having just dived around on the web, found a possible solution.   A red dot finder, and a triple vixen finder bracket.  That should mean that I can mount the ZWO guider, a red dot finder and still have a spare shoe.  Once setup and aligned, means that I should be able to point the scope to a target easier.