Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What will I be able to see with a Celestron 11" f10 OTA

After reading lots of long winded comments on the internet about what I will be able to see through a Celestron 11” HD edge f10 OTA could somebody please tell me in layman’s terms what I will be able to see i.e. both Planetary & Deep space objects Galaxies nebula's etc.

A lot.  I have one.  Stars, clusters and planets are very good.  Of course, it depends on the eyepiece  - you should have a good one to see the best.  I don't have very good skies, and galaxies and nebulae are not outstanding, although that is normal for any visual observation.  I also use this scope for astrophotography where I find the long focal length very good for small galaxies.  If you look on my DSO albums on my profile, the wizard, NGC660, NGC891, Stephans Quintet, and NGC 3718 among others shows what this scope is capable of.

Chris

• Like 1

I also find sketches useful tools of a scope's and oberver's possibility and potential. Just google in images astronomy sketches (+ name of object if necessary) 12", 10", 8" etc :thumbright:

7 hours ago, daaveyboy said:

After reading lots of long winded comments on the internet about what I will be able to see through a Celestron 11”

If you can supply a few links that would be great, for I'd be interested in seeing what folk have to say :smile:

Edited by Rob Sellent

19 minutes ago, cfpendock said:

A lot.  I have one.  Stars, clusters and planets are very good.  Of course, it depends on the eyepiece  - you should have a good one to see the best.  I don't have very good skies, and galaxies and nebulae are not outstanding, although that is normal for any visual observation.  I also use this scope for astrophotography where I find the long focal length very good for small galaxies.  If you look on my DSO albums on my profile, the wizard, NGC660, NGC891, Stephans Quintet, and NGC 3718 among others shows what this scope is capable of.

Chris

Great reply, I to don't have good skies. you say a good eyepiece is essential what do you suggest. Nice photos.

11 minutes ago, daaveyboy said:

Many thanks for this link it is what I am looking for.

Just be aware that the C11 at f10 has a 2790mm focal length. That means you won't get the same large field of view shown in some of those images. With say a 30mm 82 degree eyepiece you would get 0.88 degrees field of view. Even a 55mm would only give 1 degree. That is enough for most objects but much less than you would get with, say a 10" f4.7 dobsonian which has a 1200mm focal length and with the same eyepiece would give just over 2 degrees.

These screenshots show 0.88 degree field on M31, Markarian's chain and the Leo Triplet just as some examples.

Not being negative about the scope. I've had both a C8 and C925 and really enjoyed both of them, just making sure you go into this with your eyes open 👍👍

Screenshot_20191018-184233_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20191018-184213_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20191018-184255_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Just be aware that the C11 at f10 has a 2790mm focal length. That means you won't get the same large field of view shown in some of those images. With say a 30mm 82 degree eyepiece you would get 0.88 degrees field of view. Even a 55mm would only give 1 degree. That is enough for most objects but much less than you would get with, say a 10" f4.7 dobsonian which has a 1200mm focal length and with the same eyepiece would give just over 2 degrees.

These screenshots show 0.88 degree field on M31, Markarian's chain and the Leo Triplet just as some examples.

Not being negative about the scope. I've had both a C8 and C925 and really enjoyed both of them, just making sure you go into this with your eyes open 👍👍

Screenshot_20191018-184233_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20191018-184213_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20191018-184255_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Many thanks for this information.

You mention that you are considering an 11” HD edge F/10 OTA. Have you considered what mount you will use it on ?

One of my society friends has one of these on the Celestron fork mount. A very capable scope but having helped him set it up and take it down they are large and heavy scopes - definitely not "grab and go" !

• Like 1

With an 11" OTA you'll have your hands/eyes full for decades to come. I should mention that i did have an 11 inch on a fork mount and, as mentioned above, it is NOT a scope you can just grab and run off with. especially fork mounted it will be huge and heavy, always keep your circumstances in mind when considering a heavy scope. My 11" was amazing but, i had to let it go because it tried to kill me twice while carrying it down stairs, i should have known better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John said:

You mention that you are considering an 11” HD edge F/10 OTA. Have you considered what mount you will use it on ?

One of my society friends has one of these on the Celestron fork mount. A very capable scope but having helped him set it up and take it down they are large and heavy scopes - definitely not "grab and go" !

Hi many thanks for your reply, regarding the mount I have a 10 Micron that will handles it OK.

As this is a new set up I have not had any good skies to set it up, hopefully this will change soon.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, daaveyboy said:

Hi many thanks for your reply, regarding the mount I have a 10 Micron that will handles it OK.

As this is a new set up I have not had any good skies to set it up, hopefully this will change soon.

I agree - the weather has been very poor for observing or imaging lately. Hopefully it will get better and with the clocks changing soon, we can enjoy the Autumn / Winter skies :smiley:

Having the 10 Micron will be excellent for you and allow you to see much more, from the simple fact that you will know 100% that the target is in the eyepiece, allowing you plenty of time to relax and spend some time on each target, using averted vision, eyepiece tapping etc. Poor skies can be challenging, but the accuracy of the mount will save you from mucking about trying to determine what is what.

Let yourself get completely dark adapted, turn off all lights, the brightness right down on your keypad, and get as comfortable as possible.

Enjoy, it's a great scope, I have one that I sometimes use on my 10 Micron too in light polluted Coventyr skies  :) 

• Like 1