Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark sky site? Oh the humanity...

Dave_D

So I saw three 'dark sky sites for star gazing'  on the peak district website and emailed them for info... Not sure if the reply made me laugh or groan... 

Thank you for contacting the Peak District National Park Authority. 

Staying overnight in our carparks is not permitted, such as parking for the whole night in a campervan. Please observe the timings of the parking charges at the carpark (9am – 6pm)

• Sad 4

This kind of stock answer from a public body does not surprise me anymore.
A call centre type pick from this list of 10 stock answers that have no validity to the question asked scenario.

I would just go with the locations, you are not camping or sleeping, you are not staying overnight.
But beware of other nocturnal users of such locations who will not be pleased to see you set up.

37 minutes ago, Alan White said:

But beware of other nocturnal users of such locations who will not be pleased to see you set up.

That's true.. don't go flashing a bright torch around, it'll annoy the astrophotography types.... :hiding:

In all seriousness though, according to "go stargazing" location maps there are loads of Dark sky discovery sites and better all over, and I bet locally they are all known for other "extra curricular" persuits..   I've turned around on many a clear night for the fear of being unwelcomed (or worse overly welcomed when parking up!) 

It would be more helpful for the operators of these areas  to give genuine advise other than stock flip chart answers..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Gina said:

I guess you don't need to stay the whole night - pack up before dawn.  Wonder what they'd think of that.

admittedly, i later got another email from a different person basically saying that :D still a funny first reply though

as to the being overly welcomed... well most people steer me a wide birth especially when i got my trenchcoat and boots on 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 18/10/2019 at 18:08, Dave_D said:

admittedly, i later got another email from a different person basically saying that :D still a funny first reply though

as to the being overly welcomed... well most people steer me a wide birth especially when i got my trenchcoat and boots on 🤣🤣🤣

If that's all you have on I'm not surprised! :)

• Haha 3

Drive to a farm field gate in a darkish area and set up there.  That's what I have done.  Highly unlikely the farmer will want access to the field after dark.  You may get plod occasionally pull up and ask what you are doing (oh sorry, I forgot, we don't have police that actually drive around anymore do we?)

Edited by kirkster501
  • Haha 1

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 09:34, Gfamily said:

If that's all you have on I'm not surprised! :)

Bet he doesn't even fasten it up either..

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 09:30, kirkster501 said:

Drive to a farm field gate in a darkish area and set up there.  That's what I have done.  Highly unlikely the farmer will want access to the field after dark.  You may get plod occasionally pull up and ask what you are doing (oh sorry, I forgot, we don't have police that actually drive around anymore do we?)

I've done that a few times, although around the harvest you'd be amazed how late our farmers stay out till.. Last year I had one turning over his field at 1 in the morning, he was very interested in what I was doing and looking at whilst blocking the entrance to his field.