Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW StarQuest 130p Review and Hacks.

Hi all.

I'm pleased to say I've been making the most of the clear nights! So here's my review of the Skywatcher Starquest 130p kindly loaned to me by FLO. I've tried a very different 'cinematic narrated' style with this review, Hopefully it's enjoyable. 

@FLO I'll be in touch early next week about returning the scope. I've used it so much I've ran down the RDF battery! lol I just need to get a new one over the weekend. Thank you FLO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHdDs2PLIrk

Edited by Lockie

Nice review Chris, that gives a really good feel for what this setup is all about. At £175 that's terrific value IMO. A couple of questions: (1) Does the mount have a standard tripod fitting (3/8"?) and (2) do you think a sturdy camera tripod, like the Horizon, would be any better, or does it need something like a 1.75" leg tripod?

Love the beard by the way! 😁

• Thanks 1

Thanks Robert, for both the review and the beard compliment :)  Yeah considering how good the mirror is 175 for everything that's included is really remarkable. I've spent more than that by far grinding an 8" mirror, and I'm only half way finished. That's also excluding labour which has been a lot of hours so far! Remarkable how SW make their scopes so affordable.

The tripod that's included is probably not far off an Horizon tripod, and a 1.75" steel tripod would be overkill I feel. I really think it needs is something like a 1.25" steel tripod. Steel will dampen the vibrations much better than Ali. It's a shame they don't supply wooden tripod any more, that would dampen really well and look amazing, but I guess it's not economical. 

I'll have to double check the tripod fitting.