Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mercury transit of 2019

Many people will most likely be at work during the timing of this event. It would be differcult for them to take telescope, mount, filters etc. So I was thinking about binoculars. I understand that you can get white light solar filter pairs for binoculars. Would you see Mercury in 10 x 50 or 8 x 40 binoculars? 

46 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Would you see Mercury in 10 x 50 or 8 x 40 binoculars? 

Yes, I saw it in a pair of Coronado 10x25 Solar binoculars quite some years ago. It is small but very distinctive, a sharp black silhouette.

• Like 2

Should be able to see it. As Stu said, it would just be an extremely small black dot. We're fortunate here in the US that it happens to fall on a major holiday, Veteran's Day. Our club is actually doing an event in association with the North Carolina State Park Service at one of the nearby historical forts, where they'll be having other activities throughout the day. It's going to be a busy morning for us.

Edited by Buzzard75

• 4 weeks later...

I caught the last Mercury transit, but only just as first contact was through plentiful thin cloud, and the clouds were a perpetual problem. Did get some images though. This time, with the Sun being much lower, I'll only get the chance of no more than an hour after it starts, and then the weather will have to cooperate. The forecast looks decidedly iffy. Looks like being cold and windy too.

408061349_MeteoblueMonday.jpg.700348faf6b90576b3fbf765c9310799.jpg

Ian

I got lucky! The forecast for morning rain didn't materialize, in fact there were relatively few clouds around early on. I managed to get the first half hour or so of the transit before seriously cloudy skies arrived, and the initial contacts were clouded out. It's now out of visibility for me as it's so low in the sky. Still, I've seen it; I shalln't be around for the next one!

Ian

• Like 1