SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

recommend me a oag camera similar to qhy 5ii mono

iwols

hi all happy with my setup and the only problem i have is with my guide camera i use with my oag,occasionally it will not connect  but bearing in mind im accessing my set up remotely from the house with about 6 usb items on it so may not be completely the cameras fault ,would really like to try a different make of camera so just wondered if any one could suggest a cheap mono camera with roughly same fov as the qhy thanks

There is a bunch of options really.

In CMOS "arena" there are ASI120, ASI178, ASI290 (and of course other vendors based on those sensors).

In CCD "arena" look at Moravian G-1200 for example - it has similar specs (or Atik GP - same sensor, a bit less expensive).

The ASI290mini is the only one i would reccommend (I use this on my current setup), but I'm affraid its not cheap. I've used the one of the cheap GPCAM's (which i think is a clone of the QHY5) before with very poor results (not picking up stars with enough SNR).

I had to replace my QHY5Lii mono when the rear USB connection became intermittent and then failed completely.  The very inflexible, heavy, supplied USB cable was probably the main culprit.

I replaced it with an ASI 120 mini which seems to be just as sensitive, has a better USB connector/cable and, colour apart, is pretty much identical in appearance to the QHY item.  It has proved more durable and has never failed to provide a selection of guide stars when used with an OAG.  

On 21/10/2019 at 03:42, iwols said:

thanks guys is there much difference between the asi 120 and the mini 120 thanks

Night and day in terms of electronics. The standard ASI 120mm doesn't guide at all because of the random broken/split frame issue. It is just a poorly designed piece of hardware. The mini version has new updated electronics which solve the issue completely. 

Doesn't the "mini" model have a USB-C connector or something like that?  My personal preference is to avoid the small connectors (mini, micro, USB-C) for astro kit.  I'm not really convinced they're as robust as I'd like.  I prefer the full size connectors.

James

7 hours ago, JamesF said:

Doesn't the "mini" model have a USB-C connector

The mini does indeed have a USB C connector.  So far this has proved much more durable than the full sized one that was on my QHY 5L and which failed dismally after less than 2 years, but that may have been partly down to the much heavier, inflexible cable that QHY supply?

Whatever suits one's individual circumstances, I guess?

Edited by almcl

42 minutes ago, almcl said:

The mini does indeed have a USB C connector.  So far this has proved much more durable than the full sized one that was on my QHY 5L and which failed dismally after less than 2 years, but that may have been partly down to the much heavier, inflexible cable that QHY supply?

Whatever suits one's individual circumstances, I guess?

Certainly so :)

James