Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Testing and "Too Bright" Stars

Hello all 

My telescope is great - but my previous (and first ever) one had a fault with it and thats where I learned about star testing to try and ascertain what the problem might be. I'll be honest from the start and say I don't know nearly enough about the practice (or what to look for) to be any good at it, but I do periodically star test my 70mm refractor by going in and out of focus and checking that everything seems more or less as it should - which it always does.

But what I was wondering specifically is that I've seen advice pop up in several places about not picking a star that is "too bright" like Altair or Vega or Sirius. However, I'm not sure why this is the case and have done a bit of googling and I'm still none the wiser! I will admit that trying to do a star test on a really bright star like Vega is sometimes challenging as I occasionally get a bit of a "speckle" going on even at perfect focus and a bit of a red/green smear when the conditions aren't great at really high magnifications - could it be something as simple as that or is there another reason?

Probably isn't important - apologies if you took the time to read all of this and have come to the conclusion its another daft beginners question!

Generally, if the target star is too bright, the glare swamps the finer quality details under test.  Usually, if the out of focus star image looks round either side of focus, a small dot without spikes and no smearing to a side when at focus, you're off to a good start.        😀

I find Polaris is a good star for star testing. Bright enough but not too bright. Easy to find (from where I am anyway) and it does not move (much) when being observed.

A green filter can be used to better discern the diffraction ring / airy disk pattern.

• Like 2