Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Asghar

Can you imagine the view of the sky from a city with all lights turned off?

Hey guys,

I'm new here and thus question has been on my head all day. Tell me your thoughts! The light pollution is p******* me off!

It would look the same as the view from a place with no lights!

Get some distance from cities and big towns and see for yourself. 
https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/ will show you where you might get to, don’t worry about getting to totally dark, just outside the really bright bits. Should allow you to see the milkyway with no problems.  Binoculars will reveal countless strings of stars. end of summer into autumn is best as the milkyway stretches overhead.

I don’t get under those skies often and I am aware that “proper skies” can be another level “better”. The darker you go the easier it is to see stuff... of course remembering that the moon also ruins the views.

good luck on finding somewhere dark.

Peter

Thanks for your replies all. This coming Sunday I will have bought a 10 inch Orion Europa beast. Wish me luck.

Screenshot_20191021_110357_com.facebook.katana.jpg

We lost power in Cork following storm Ophelia- the sky cleared and was INCREDIBLE!!

I had to mind scared young kids, so no scope - but oh wow naked eye.

Oh to have gotten the scope out ... 🙄

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Anthony RS
      Hello,
      I'm selling these 2 filters since I'm getting a mono astro cam. The filters are barely used and in perfect condition, no scratches, no fingerprints, not even dust. They are both amazing filters, probably the best investment I've made. I've attached some images
      taken with these filters, using a 100$ celestron newtonian, a 250$ Canon 500D and the infamous AVX. Also attached are images of the filters showing their perfect condition.
      Astronomik CLS-CCD Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/filter-gegen-lichtverschmtzung-filters-against-lightpollution-lpr/cls-ccd-filter/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-cls-ccd.html
      Original price including VAT is 155 Euros (around USD 182). I got it for around USD230 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 120.
      Astronomik Ha 12nm Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter/clip-filter-canon-aps-c/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-h-alpha-ccd-12nm.html
      Original price including VAT 194 Euros (around USD 228). Got it for around USD 270 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 180
      I am willing to ship them on my own expense using LibanPost (from Lebanon). Shipping might take time; if you would like to use some other shipment method please contact me to discuss the price. 
      Feel free to buy one or both together.
      Let me know if you have any questions. 
      You can also contact me on <private email address removed>
      Cheers,
      Anthony

• By msoulby
      Hello, 
      Unfortunately, I will be moving from my Bortle class 3/4 skies overlooking the Cotswolds, to somewhere with class 6 skies 😫
      Does anybody with any local knowledge around the Stotfold area have any observation site suggestions? Away from any local light pollution at least. It would seem driving east maybe productive according to https://www.lightpollutionmap.info
      Thanks
      Mike
    • By mih
      Hi, I'm a beginner and I want to buy something for my telescope. I have a Bresser 6 inch Newtonian(750mm focal length) I have 2 lenses, 9mm, 25mm, a moon filter and a 2x barlow. What would be the next thing to get? I was thinking maybe a solar filter, a light pollution filter since i am stuck at home, idk. What are your thoughts on this?
    • By kryptonite
      I'm not experienced with LRGB imaging, so thought i'd give it a go on M81. However, when i combine the 4 individually processed integrations i end up with horrible colour hues across the image - they're all aligned and wotnot. Am i running into the issues of light pollution (inside the M25), which i can only remove with aggressive DBE application?  Individual files attached.

• By Scooot
      I was told by a friend who has close ties with the council that Basildon District are abandoning their part-night lighting in a few weeks. Apparently the street lights which currently go off at 1am are going to be left on at cost of circa £275,000 per year. They are supposedly going to fund this from reserves.
      Anyway, did a bit of googling and found this  https://www.basildon.gov.uk/article/7711/In-the-news-Councillors-united-behind-plan-to-switch-street-lights-back-on-through-night
      I wonder how many people will notice!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.