Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New version of SGL

Tomatobro

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

You'll be telling me next you miss the green monitor 😂

Oooh, ADM3a "jelly mould" serial terminals ("glass tty"s as they were often known).  Jumpers for goalposts...

spacer.png

James

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

But it's not a book is it? It's not a fair comparison.

It's more like one of those round robin emails in which (entirely sensibly) each contributor puts their reply at the top of the email. You can quickly skim read the earlier contributions but after that you don't need to. So you get to see the latest contributions as soon as you open the email.

Yes, OK there are work arounds - necessitated in my view because of an inefficient system by default. And if you think about it, they'd work equally well the other way around. So you could quickly click through to the one and only time you need to read the posts (if you want to ) in chronological order. 

I don't want to impose it on you. But I would like the choice. 

I think we'll just have to agree to differ.  I don't know but I suspect that the options are built into the software and not up to the Mods and Admins.  You could try asking if that option could be provided.

18 minutes ago, Gina said:

I think we'll just have to agree to differ.  I don't know but I suspect that the options are built into the software and not up to the Mods and Admins.  You could try asking if that option could be provided.

That's more or less the response I've had from forum operators when I've raised the point - that it's a default of the software and can't be changed. Or confounded disbelief that anyone could possibly want it the other way around. 

When I've raised the matter on other forums I've been a minority. But I'm not alone. There are quite a few weirdos like myself who would like the option. 🙂 

I think maybe if you had the option and tried it you might think oh yeah I see the advantage now. The many very long running threads for example like Are You Playing Tonight? you don't need to see what happened yesterday, let alone what people said two years ago or whatever. You shouldn't need to remember to click on a special link to reach the latest posts on the bottom of the 17th page. Just plain silly IMO. 

Each to his own. 🙂 

Edited by Ouroboros

You don't need to click on any special link.  When go go to a forum you can immediately see which threads have new posts and if you click on the thread you are taken directly to the first unread post.  Whether this is default or whether you choose it in the options I don't remember but that's how I do it.  The icon next to the thread title changes to show whether there are new posts and also if you have already posted in the thread.  If there is one or more new post(s) this goes white (or light grey).  Click on the icon to be taken to the first unread post.

Here's a screenshot.

125221766_Screenshotfrom2019-10-1613-27-38.thumb.png.28077a3f8e84b3bb2905f004e60d8791.png

Edited by Gina

It took a while to get used to the new site but now I am fine with it except for one thing...

I have bookmarked the "new content" page and after going through all the new content, I click at the bottom of the page "mark site read"

What is bothering me is that any new entry of a new or an ongoing threads display the last comment on the thread instead of the original post.

So I get the title of the thread such as:

"wow this is interesting"

and the last comment would be :

"indeed"

Not very helpful !

I sometime get a dozen of threads such as "lunar picture" or "saturn" and such .. all with the same comment from the same person who decided to up their comment counts with:

"great job!"

Unless there is a way to configure this, it is quite annoying. I'd rather be able to see the original post as a preview of what the thread is about...

There, I feel better now :)

/end rant

Edited by Vox45

It doesn't bother me which order the unread posts come up in, I just scroll through until I see something I want to read or reply to.  Any replies on posts I have previously commented on come up in the notifications thingy at the top.  

I never go into the individual forums, so it baffles me when people say you will get more replies if you post in the right forum.  But I guess that's how it works for some people. 

Only time I use the forum sections is if I am specifically looking for something I can't find, or to buy or sell something.  Normally a search will bring up something I am looking for though.

Just please DON'T REMOVE "unread content" button or I shall be completely stuffed.

Carole 

Edited by carastro

On 17/10/2019 at 09:46, johninderby said:

I much prefer seeing the latest post in a thread. So annoying to have to wade through a load of posts from the beginning. of a thread. Easy enough to click on the left arrow and go to the beginning if that’s what you want.

John, you can go directly to the latest post by clicking on the part where it states when the last post was, e.g. Click on the bit that shows "3 hours ago".

Edit: clicking on where it states the number of replies looks to do the same thing.

Edited by r3i

On 16 October 2019 at 13:34, Gina said:

No new posts.
2080069334_Screenshotfrom2019-10-1613-31-25.png.dec51d7d34509fc21fe9340e21193d13.png

New post(s) where I have previously posted.
307293434_Screenshotfrom2019-10-1613-30-34.png.54693e705b68d66f07f1512afe37d135.png

New post(s) but I haven't yet posted in this thread.
465558218_Screenshotfrom2019-10-1613-30-55.png.299330dc47453fa7ce14f222ff2d10d0.png

Thanks so much, Gina. Yes, I wasn't aware of that feature. That certainly helps. Unfortunately I seldom access threads via the forums, although I'm always careful when starting a thread to try and find the most appropriate forum. Mostly I use the Unread Content list of recent posts, which I think doesn't have the features you mention. If I remember, which I don't always, I click on the posted 15 mins ago or whatever underneath the link to the thread. At least that gets me to the most recent post. Sometimes I forget to do that and I end up on the first page of 17 or whatever pages of posts. GRrrrrr!  Going back doesn't help because the thread will no longer be there in unread posts because the site thinks I've read it. So, I click the >> link which does in a slow and clunky way get me to the top of the last page from where I have to scroll down down down to get to the latest posts. If there's a better way I don't know it. To me all this seem so unnecessary, and would be fixed by allowing users the option (not the default) to present posts in reverse chronological order.  But thanks for your help. 🙂 

• Like 1

Like most people I prefer to read left to right and top to bottom 😜 Having a forum with the latest post at the top would cause me no end of stress.

However, trying to use Google mail for business use is far worse. For some reason when you are replying to a huge e-mail trail you end up typing a response somewhere in the middle and nothing else seems to be in any kind of order. Quite often I have no clue what I'm replying to or what I've sent...