SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New version of SGL

Tomatobro

I've been on the latest for a while and have had no problem with it, I have black writing on a grey background as normal.

Just wondering whether your laptop has had a display driver update as that could cause something like that, here's mine, I'm on version 3.0.3.169: -

image.thumb.png.068e31675bfac663532025c3254e4d2d.png

18 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

Pale blue text on a white background totally unreadable on my laptop screen

But now I go straight into the usual screen so was this just for the cookies notification I wonder?

No changes to SGL here - sounds like perhaps your browser hadn't downloaded the full website theme files or something like that, try a different browser or a forced refresh.

4 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

I've been on the latest for a while and have had no problem with it, I have black writing on a grey background as normal.

Just wondering whether your laptop has had a display driver update as that could cause something like that, here's mine, I'm on version 3.0.3.169: -

image.thumb.png.068e31675bfac663532025c3254e4d2d.png

SGL, not SGP... 👍

What a relief. I thought for a moment you'd changed SGL again. It's taken me long enough to get used to this one.

Maybe it's timely though for my age old gripe (sorry suggestion) to enable us to see posts in what I consider the "correct" order i.e. latest first.  Whoever thought it reasonable to have the latest post in a thread at the bottom of the 17th page needs their head examining in my view. But most forums seem to be moving to that format. It's bonkers!!! 

Right, rant over! As you were. 🙂 

Posts in reverse time order may be fine if you're continually reading but otherwise it makes more sense to me to read in the order they were posted.  Sorry but that's the way I think.

• Like 4

Strange, when I clicked on SGL the first thing what I saw was a different screen than the one I was used to,  It had a big FLo banner and when I scrolled down the text was all greyed (pale blue) out. When I scrolled back up there was a "this website uses cookies" banner. As the this users experience was not good I thought I should create a post....Which I did in what I consider to be a "normal" screen.

When I came back to see if others had had the same experience I viewed what I call a standard SGL screen. Each time now its normal.

This is on a Linux operating system by the way

I always enter SGL via the unread posts menu option https://stargazerslounge.com/discover/unread/  . I have that as a bookmark.

Then on any thread I'm interested in I either click the little star immediately to the left of the thread title for threads I've posted in or the white dot for threads I've not posted in and it takes me directly to the first unread post of the thread.

Apologies if this isn't new or even helpful but it works for me and I avoid trawling through much stuff I've already seen. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I always enter SGL via the unread posts menu option https://stargazerslounge.com/discover/unread/  . I have that as a bookmark.

Then on any thread I'm interested in I either click the little star immediately to the left of the thread title for threads I've posted in or the white dot for threads I've not posted in and it takes me directly to the first unread post of the thread.

That's exactly how I do it.

I've always found it awkward to read stuff in the "latest first" order, because earlier messages give context to later ones.

James

• Like 4

I find no difference in screen colours whether I use Windows 7, Linux Mint or Ubuntu Mate in RPi using Firefox on all platforms.

As for reading posts I do do the same as Paul M and JamesF.

1 hour ago, Grant said:

No changes to SGL here - sounds like perhaps your browser hadn't downloaded the full website theme files or something like that, try a different browser or a forced refresh.

SGL is back to its old self. As I mentioned this is a Linux operating system so the comments on Windows don't apply. I think the browser was probably at fault.

1 hour ago, Gina said:

Posts in reverse time order may be fine if you're continually reading but otherwise it makes more sense to me to read in the order they were posted.  Sorry but that's the way I think.

I feel the same. Gmail for example infuriates the hell out of me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul M said:

Apologies if this isn't new or even helpful but it works for me and I avoid trawling through much stuff I've already seen. 

No problem. I do the same but I think such things are a bit of a clumsy work around. 

3 minutes ago, Gina said:

I don't know anyone who reads a book from back to front!!  🤣

Quite :D

In the 1980s and probably into the 1990s it was common, even demanded, that responses to messages in email and on USENET etc. followed those to which they referred, and people trimmed out anything irrelevant to what they had to say.  Many editors would even auto-indent and top-and-tail the quoted message for you and place the cursor after the quoted text automatically.

Then along came Microsoft, once they decided the Internet wasn't just a flash in the pan.  Their mail clients weren't that smart, so people started replying at the top of the message and weight of numbers meant it became common.  I seem to recall there were even filters for some clever mail agents at the time that could rebuild a "Microsoft-style" message into the previously-expected style.

James

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

You know how I feel then. 🙂 

Surely you mean...

You know how I feel then. 🙂

19 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I feel the same. Gmail for example infuriates the hell out of me!

:D

James

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Quite :D

In the 1980s and probably into the 1990s it was common, even demanded, that responses to messages in email and on USENET etc. followed those to which they referred, and people trimmed out anything irrelevant to what they had to say.  Many editors would even auto-indent and top-and-tail the quoted message for you and place the cursor after the quoted text automatically.

Then along came Microsoft, once they decided the Internet wasn't just a flash in the pan.  Their mail clients weren't that smart, so people started replying at the top of the message and weight of numbers meant it became common.  I seem to recall there were even filters for some clever mail agents at the time that could rebuild a "Microsoft-style" message into the previously-expected style.

James

You'll be telling me next you miss the green monitor 😂

DaVE

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gina said:

I don't know anyone who reads a book from back to front!!  🤣

But it's not a book is it? It's not a fair comparison.

It's more like one of those round robin emails in which (entirely sensibly) each contributor puts their reply at the top of the email. You can quickly skim read the earlier contributions but after that you don't need to. So you get to see the latest contributions as soon as you open the email.

Yes, OK there are work arounds - necessitated in my view because of an inefficient system by default. And if you think about it, they'd work equally well the other way around. So you could quickly click through to the one and only time you need to read the posts (if you want to ) in chronological order. 

I don't want to impose it on you. But I would like the choice.