Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Closeup of a well known galaxy

lux eterna

I wanted to see what a closer look at M31 would be like, so I let my (cooled) Nikon D7000 spend 77 x 10 min during two nights staring at it. Meade LX200-ACF plus reducer is some 1600 mm FL and F8 so really not much exposure for the darkest areas, but I think the core came out pretty well, and also the Ha regions. 

Guided with NexGuide on a HEQ5 Pro - I just gave it an overhaul and new worm axis bearings. Happy to see it performs well after the surgery (thanks to http://www.astro-baby.com).

Ragnar

M31b_2.thumb.jpg.7c4e042994ac60fddf97811ec461ba21.jpg

• Like 12

12 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice result, excellent dust lanes into the core and quite something to do that with a big SCT on an HEQ5

Dave

Thanks Dave for the compliments, much appreciated ! My HEQ5 is like going on steroids... I have built an Arduino accessory that removes most of the PE in the RA stepper motor (the stepper itself has a fast, 0.6 seconds, PE) which makes life easier for the autoguider. Will make a write-up of it when time allows.

Ragnar

• Like 1