SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

phd2 wizard

spikkyboy

Hi all,

So I bought a guide scope and the ZWO mini camera.

As usual rain so not had a chance to look at the set up until today.

Guide scope attached to main scope (CPC925) and camera to guide scope.

USB from camera to laptop and ST4 from camera to The CPC.

I am reading that it may be better to not use that connection and go from PC port on CPC to USB.

Anyway have tried both and find that when I run the set up equipment wizard the ZWO mini is in the drop down list but when i go to the next step all the you tube videos have the mount being used listed here but mine is not shown. The Astro Addict you tube video said use on camera.

So I have no choice but to select this and continue.

I then get a message to say that the mount connection I have chosen will not be compatible with guiding so a bit confused.

My CPC was second hand. Would there have been a CD or DVD with it with software on?

Maybe I am missing some scope control software on the laptop as when I plug PC port to USB on laptop nothing happens?

Any ideas here greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance as usual.

Just make sure the mount is PERFECTLY level (as I said in one of your previous threads) but as I said above, you can’t guide a CPC unless it is on a wedge so you will not get anywhere trying to set up a guide scope unless it is.

Having just seen your post on CN, if you are wanting to do some planetary imaging, there are two points. You are going to need to be able to track for a couple of mins and you don’t need to guide a CPC to achieve that if it is set up properly. I can keep a planet on my tiny ASI120 chip for well over 10 mins so if you can’t, there is something wrong somewhere. Don’t waste your time thinking about guiding.

When you set up is the mount as level as you can possibly get it? When you GPS link, is the date, time and location it provides correct? Which option are you using for alignment?

If you have your CPC set up correctly and there are no internal mechanical issues with it, it will track a planet plenty long enough to image.

I have tried a star sense with auto align but have trees and restrictions so it never works. Manual align and pick my own stars has worked and it does goto ok.my problem is that the subject does not stay in view for long enough and I have to nudge the scope along so why I am swapping eye piece for camera it's gone.

I start horizontal with the index Mark's on the top and have checked with a spirit level to check its correct. Gps has connected and date and time are now correct after the date issues with gps.

I bought the cpc for its ease of use and its proven anything but. A lot of the alignments fail. After it says it worked but then select a planet and it slews off somewhere else. The backlash is horrendous and if you dont end with up and right it has no chance. Having noticed the auto guide port on the scope I thought oh I will buy an auto guider and solve my problems. 

Side note the scope is on a 5 foot brick pier in my observatory conversion summer house. Pier is dead square and level and very solid with hollow core filled with concrete.

I fixed four big anchor bolts into 12 inches of fibreglass resin and bolted a 10mm steel plate to them again dead level and then the three scope mounting bolts to the steel plate.

Surely any errors should be correct by the scopes alignment routine?

Spending most of my time fighting for correct alignments and not really doing any observing and even less AP.

Bit frustrating. New scope may be on horizon and I will sell this one back on it's own mount.

Any suggestions for replacement scope?

Thanks

In your first paragraph you say you set it up and it “does goto ok” but in your third paragraph you say it doesn’t slew to a planet correctly so I’m a bit lost there as to whether it does or doesn’t goto your target correctly!

Sometimes yes sometimes no. Not reliable.

Hoping for minor success with alignment then keep on track with the guide scope and camera. To be honest my old slt127 was way more reliable.

I've had the scope serviced and collimated and was told all was ok