SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What part of the sky is most important?

ofranzen

Hi all,

An odd question perhaps but for most of us we have to prioritize what part of the sky we will see the best from our backyards. I'm trying to figure out where to arrange a more permanent spot for setting up my AP rig and I have trees basically sorrunding my backyard. So, I need to prioritize which direction(s) will get better or worse views. Can one say that one direction is more important than another or is it better to aim for the darkest parts? My backyard has the following conditions, at 59 degrees north. Skies are pretty much too bright from May through August.

North - Trees are lowest but street lamps and neighbors are closest.

East - Darkest skies and 3rd highest trees.

South - 2nd darkest skies and highest trees.

West - Most light pollution and 2nd higest trees.

Would e.g. setting up so I "sacrifice" West, which has the worst condition, be ok and I can just wait for targets to come into view? Or will there be DSOs that I will never be able to target?

Thanks

/Ola

I image stuff rising in the east round to the meridian mainly, as dictated by having South London behind me.

Trickiest stuff that is worth imaging is low in the south around Sagittarius and Scorpius, even trickier from your location.

Dave

Hi Ola,

Tricky situation...

I agree with the previous post; download Stellarium, set it up for your position and have a look at what's available and when. There are lots of winter objects that should be available to you, especially if you plan carefully. It would help to work out the angles from your proposed placement to the obstructions (trees and things) and make sure the most interesting objects clear the obstructions.

Good luck.

Gordon.

Planners look at where people walk in a park and then build the paths on those routes. I would suggest a similar strategy here. Don't start with a permanent position, try out a few with a moveable set up and then see which one you like best.
It might be that other factors, such as shelter from wind, become significant.

• Like 1

I too have a tree problem. An arc across the south, from east to SW, holds the most interest.

Mostly the sun, moon and planets cross my southerly view. They are usually highest in the south.

So the best seeing conditions are also in the south. By the time they reach the west they are sinking fast.