Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lodestar failure

fireballxl5

Hi all, well after 11 years of excellent service my trusty Lodestar guide camera has failed - there is no obvious sign of damage externally but it does not give any response on two PCs that I've tried🙁

So, I've sure that SX would offer to have a look at it but maybe it's time to consider an upgrade😉

I'm looking for a replacement with smaller pixels that I can use with either an OAG or finder-guider (273mm focal length). I image either at 0.7 or 1.7 arcsec/pixel, depending on target.

Any advice?

TIA, Andy

Hi, give SX a shout as to see if they can fix it as the original LS is still a capable guidecam, I have the LS2 and that is very similar in spec to the earlier one, but the qhy5-ii mono has a good rep and I have used on before. any help ton

Are you quite certain it's the camera, and not a cable problem, or drivers glitch.
The lodestar seems a very durable camera, and  I would investigate further before discarding it>
Perhaps you have pursued all other possible reasons though, in which case ignore my suggestion.
Ron.

2 minutes ago, barkis said:

Are you quite certain it's the camera, and not a cable problem, or drivers glitch.

Well I've tried multiple connections/reconnections, re-boots, 3 usb cables, 2 computers with drivers. Just no sign of life on the camera or recognition on the computer, hence the conclusion. 

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it were the USB socket on the camera.  I've never liked the mini USB connectors for this sort of thing.  If it's just a case of replacing the socket though, it might not be too expensive to have done.

Otherwise as a replacement guide cam I'd probably go for any of the AR0130-based mono cameras that are around at the moment (ASI 120MM-S, Altair GPCAM and others) or something like the QHY5L-IIm as already suggested.  If you want smaller pixels then perhaps one of the IMX290 models available from ZWO, Altair or QHY.  Touptek, Risingcam and others probably have similar offerings though if you're after ASCOM support you'd probably need to check that first.

James