Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher heritage Virtuoso 90

Hi.i am new to sky gazing and have just ordered my first telescope. The skywatcher heritage Virtuoso 90.

I was just wondering what other optics I could order to make it better  apart from the basic ones that come with the telescope. Also I was wondering what tripod are available for the telescope  since I read it had a 3 18 on the bottom of it.

Information would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to start

Hi Gordon and a warm welcome to the SGL. The Virtuoso is a nice first scope. I am sure you will enjoy it. As for eyepieces, use the ones supplied for a bit until you are familiar with your new scope. Then you will have a better idea of what you might require. I have only seen the scope used with the table top mount so I can not help there. The main thing is to get out and enjoy your scope.

• Like 2

Hi Gordon, and welcome to the SGL. I have this system, and it is a very good table-top Dobsonian mount.

It does have a 3/8" - 16 UNC internal thread in the central section of the base, but would need a thread adaptor if you use a normal photographic tripod. However, it is much more stable if used on a small table. I use mine on a 60cm diameter glass-top patio table. It is much more stable than my tripod-mounted systems.

To get the widest views, I use a 32mm Plossl eyepiece. The MCT optical tube also works well with my Celestron 8-24 mm zoom. This gives me adjustable magnification; and thus select the optimum  magnification / image clarity compromise for the best view, particularly for the planets.

An excellent starter package, in my opinion the best of the table top offerings.  A zoom eyepiece would be a good optional extra as already mentioned but get used to the telescope first.  I went for the larger 114mm option as I already had a 90mm Maksutov which will fit as an alternative.   Welcome to SGL.   😀 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot everyone. I think this site will be very useful for my new hobby. Will try my telescope for a  while then get a32mm eyepiece. I was also thinking of getting the synscan wifi  sometime aswell as it sounds like a really good idea.

This telescope has plenty to offer at least 

7 hours ago, Gordon Duguid said:

I was also thinking of getting the synscan wifi  sometime aswell as it sounds like a really good idea.

Like Peter, I've got the 114 Newtonian version (but may have gone for the Mak90 if I'd found it at same price). I've added the synscan WiFi and found it works well - although for planets you can find by sight the tracking on the mount is sufficient and I only hook up the synscan if I'm hoping to see something else (rare in my light polluted skies).

I've never been tempted to use a tripod with it - just varying sizes of garden table.  It has a reputation for racing through batteries so a DC adapter if you'll have an outside socket is an essential - or power tank type battery if you'll be using away from home.