Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

SAW

Mercury Transit

Hi,

Those of you that are imaging or viewing it what equipment are you using ? I'll be in the Canaries for it but not sure what to pack. 

Thanks. 

I used my 3" Tak and Baader Herschel Wedge for the one in 2016 and that worked quite well.  As I am hoping to attend an event and hence will travel across London, I expect something similar again.

Fingers crossed the weather plays ball!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4" Tak for me plus Baader Wedge. Found some smartphone pics from the last one here. Will try in Ha too this time.

received_765951490518774.jpeg

received_393644314665847.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have my Tak 60 Q I could take bits it packing safely. 

Is it worth viewing/imaging in Ha ? Or just stick with white light. 

Edited by SAW

Here is one I did earlier in Ha

about 1-34 in is first contact.

Pity the You tube compresses the data.

• Like 3

With solar activity being currently so low, a Ha view should still have a more interesting backdrop if the choice is available.   😀

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

4" Tak for me plus Baader Wedge. Found some smartphone pics from the last one here.

Did you use a smartphone holder for this, Stu? Is there one you would recommend (I have iPhone 6)?

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Did you use a smartphone holder for this, Stu? Is there one you would recommend (I have iPhone 6)?

I suspect this one was handheld Jeremy, as I would have been using my binoviewers.

The Televue Fonemate works well with compatible Televue eyepieces (those which take the Dioptrx). You can also get an adaptor for the 24mm Panoptic to allow that to be used. The Fonemate attaches very securely and is always centred so it is just a matter of centering the camera.

The new Orion Steadypix EZ is a variant of this but has a different clamping mechanism and works with non TV eyepieces. Works well.

https://uk.telescope.com/mobile/catalog/product.jsp?productId=115934&utm_source=google&utm_medium=comparisonshopping&utm_campaign=UK-googlemerchant&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzNeVlZac5QIVBVXTCh0FQQCmEAUYASABEgL6jfD_BwE

Just remembered there are images and write ups of a few different mounts here.

http://www.waltonastrogroup.co.uk/equipment-reviews.html

I typically use my little 76 plus a Herschel wedge  for white light mounted together with a Lunt 60mm. I see some of you are going to be using your fluorite scopes but is there any cause for concern? Is there a risk involved or is it as straight foward as using your typical frac glass?

12 minutes ago, Rob Sellent said:

I typically use my little 76 plus a Herschel wedge  for white light mounted together with a Lunt 60mm. I see some of you are going to be using your fluorite scopes but is there any cause for concern? Is there a risk involved or is it as straight foward as using your typical frac glass?

I've used my Tak for solar with a Herschel Wedge since I've had it ie quite a few years now, with no problems Rob.

• Thanks 1

All the manufactures of the four element Petzval designed scopes (WO, Tak and TV) have put it in writing that their scopes are 100% safe to use with a Herschel wedge.