Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mercury Transit

SAW

I used my 3" Tak and Baader Herschel Wedge for the one in 2016 and that worked quite well.  As I am hoping to attend an event and hence will travel across London, I expect something similar again.

Fingers crossed the weather plays ball!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Did you use a smartphone holder for this, Stu? Is there one you would recommend (I have iPhone 6)?

I suspect this one was handheld Jeremy, as I would have been using my binoviewers.

The Televue Fonemate works well with compatible Televue eyepieces (those which take the Dioptrx). You can also get an adaptor for the 24mm Panoptic to allow that to be used. The Fonemate attaches very securely and is always centred so it is just a matter of centering the camera.

The new Orion Steadypix EZ is a variant of this but has a different clamping mechanism and works with non TV eyepieces. Works well.

https://uk.telescope.com/mobile/catalog/product.jsp?productId=115934&utm_source=google&utm_medium=comparisonshopping&utm_campaign=UK-googlemerchant&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzNeVlZac5QIVBVXTCh0FQQCmEAUYASABEgL6jfD_BwE

Just remembered there are images and write ups of a few different mounts here.

http://www.waltonastrogroup.co.uk/equipment-reviews.html

I typically use my little 76 plus a Herschel wedge  for white light mounted together with a Lunt 60mm. I see some of you are going to be using your fluorite scopes but is there any cause for concern? Is there a risk involved or is it as straight foward as using your typical frac glass?

12 minutes ago, Rob Sellent said:

I typically use my little 76 plus a Herschel wedge  for white light mounted together with a Lunt 60mm. I see some of you are going to be using your fluorite scopes but is there any cause for concern? Is there a risk involved or is it as straight foward as using your typical frac glass?

I've used my Tak for solar with a Herschel Wedge since I've had it ie quite a few years now, with no problems Rob.

• Thanks 1