SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help - Camera won't connect to Artemis capture

For the first time when opening Artemis Capture software it failed to connect to my camera and I have no idea why?  Have been through the usual and checked the various connections and they all seem fine. The right noises occur when I connect the power and the usb to my laptop.  No idea what to do next - help definitely needed!

Annie

19 hours ago, carastro said:

I have to say I sometimes have problems connecting my Atik cameras to Artemis, maybe I tried too soon after switching my laptop on, but eventually it will connect. 

Carole 

Same with mine, too.  I use a prehistoric Lenovo laptop with Windows Vista (anyone remember that?) and it all usually works fine, but it seems to need to settle down for a few minutes before Artemis talks to the 460.  And yet the Pegasus hub fires up straight away and gets power to the camera from the off because I can hear the cooling fan start.

Windows Vista (anyone remember that?)

Only gave up using my Vista laptop earlier this year but only because the left and right click had packed up and I don't have a spare USB for a Mouse.   It still works but mostly use it for slide shows on images now.

My "new laptop" is a reconditioned W7.  😀  Also it is a Lenovo. 

I very rarely use it for anything but imaging, so not worried too much about needing software support when it stops as it rarely goes on the internet. 

Carole

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

A lot of folk don’t seem to like Lenovos but I think they are good solid machines and we have a couple around the house plus the one that does obbo duty.  I get them second hand as well, from these guys, the “Grade B” ones are fine (or have been, touch wood!)...

https://www.tier1online.com/refurbished-laptops/

Sorry, off topic a bit I know, but there is much in favour of older versions of Windows that can’t be connected to the internet and “updated”  (aka “rendered unusable for AP”).

Edited by Hallingskies
  • Like 1

Well first of all thanks for all the helpful replies.  I went back to a previous Windows 10 build on my laptop and Artemis now connects though am not sure whether this was just coincidence.  I then had another problem with windows 10 insisting on installing updates at entirely the wrong time.  Anyway I seem to be up and running again thank goodness.  I have to say though am going to give serious thought to another laptop just for imaging.  I have two laptops and my old one is packing up so now might be just the time to consider another one for imaging only and will have a look at Lenovo.

Thanks again everyone - much appreciated.

Annie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldannie said:

Well first of all thanks for all the helpful replies.  I went back to a previous Windows 10 build on my laptop and Artemis now connects though am not sure whether this was just coincidence.  I then had another problem with windows 10 insisting on installing updates at entirely the wrong time.  Anyway I seem to be up and running again thank goodness.  I have to say though am going to give serious thought to another laptop just for imaging.  I have two laptops and my old one is packing up so now might be just the time to consider another one for imaging only and will have a look at Lenovo.

Annie

Good ol windows..

Glad you got it connected but when imaging turn off the internet connection to the internet as you say I'm sure they watch you and then try to mess up your eve with a update

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldannie said:

Annie

I have a separate laptop for imaging that's all set up and working and is NEVER connected to the internet.

Dave

• Like 3

What a faff around.  When I went back to an older build of Windows 10 the camera connected but I then found I couldn't delay updates so reinstalled the newer version (1903) and found my camera did connect - however!!! the time after that the camera failed to connect again and a message appeared telling me there was an error with the Artemis capture software  and to try reinstalling.  I did that and all seems ok.  Just waiting for the next clear night!!  What a hobby!

Watch this space!!!

Annie

This does happen sometimes. This time, for you, it seems to have been updates, which is common enough. It can also be due to the software thinking Artemis is already connected so you have to go into Device Manager to see if this is so and then disconnect it before re-trying to connect.

If you don't already do so I suggest you label all your USB cables and all your USB ports on the PC itself and never, under any circumstances, change what you plug where.

If you use an Atik filterwheel you may find that it won't connect when the camera will. If a couple of unplugs-replugs won't get it to work, and you don't want to waste a clear sky, you can forget Artemis for the filterwheel and run it in Atik's standalone Filter Wheel Runner instead.  That's saved my bacon a couple of times.

Olly

I have to say though am going to give serious thought to another laptop just for imaging.

If you do, I would suggest doing what Hallingskies and I do is get older operating system reconditioned laptops.  I have found also found some good companies that do this, in fact my new W10 desktop is reconditioned and upgraded from a W7 by a company  I bought from on Ebay for £65.  My Lenovo imaging laptop was around the same price reconditioned W7.  The only time they are connected to the internet is when I am imaging from home and I am using Teamviewer and I E mail myself the TV code to pick up indoors, and occasionally I might use Arometry.net

Only updates if I give permssion. 

Carole 

Edited by carastro

The latest Windows 10 update I think is version 1909. Apparently the bright sparks there have caused a few problems with this update, one in particular is in ACP Bob Denny has sent out an email to all his ACP users to not try to uninstall and reinstall the program as it will not fix the problem. Bob is working on a fix for it. This is the second time over the past year that Microsoft have caused serious problems with updates that affect his product. Bob has urged his customers to stop Windows updates if possible for a while. You can easilly defer these  for a month in settings.

But I agree with Dave best wth no internet connection if at all possible.

Derek

Thanks Dave, will have a look at the laptops as I had a filterwheel problem at Kelling.  Could not connect one of them.  Tried changing the cables, tried 3 different laptops, and nothing worked.  

Was using my dual rig and thought I would have to end up doing one filter only on the one that would not connect, but trouble was I had no idea where it was positioned.

Finally after giving up, I started up the rig for imaging in the evening and it was all working again (without any further changes !!!).

Carole