Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Filter Wheel OR What’s The Alternatives ? ?

Hiya, found the filter wheel for a bargain price brand new, but what other ways are there to add filters to the camera train ? ? I think I’ve seen a filter holder that holds one filter at a time ? ? 

thanks

Neil

You’re thinking, perhaps of the Baader UFC system...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-filters/baader-ufc-universal-filter-changer-system.html

Don't be deceived by the low price, you actually need a base, camera adapter, filter slider, ... to make a functional system.

But it is very good.

Edited by AKB

31 minutes ago, AKB said:

You’re thinking, perhaps of the Baader UFC system...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-filters/baader-ufc-universal-filter-changer-system.html

Don't be deceived by the low price, you actually need a base, camera adapter, filter slider, ... to make a functional system.

But it is very good.

Thanks for the help - There’s a hell of a lot of bits on there - what items would I need to make it functional ? ?

As I mentioned, you'd need something along the lines of one of each:

• Filter chamber – this is the body of the thing
  • Camera-side adapter – perhaps T2/M42 or M48, or something else, depending on your camera
  • Telescope-side adapter – whatever fits
  • Filter slider – 2", probably
  • Aux filter holder – 1.25" if that's the size filter you were thinking of using
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AKB said:

As I mentioned, you'd need something along the lines of one of each:

• Filter chamber – this is the body of the thing
  • Camera-side adapter – perhaps T2/M42 or M48, or something else, depending on your camera
  • Telescope-side adapter – whatever fits
  • Filter slider – 2", probably
  • Aux filter holder – 1.25" if that's the size filter you were thinking of using

Thanks for the help, I’ll have a closer look at that.

Neil

The Baader UFC system is meant for scopes that cannot use a filterwheel, like the RASA or SCT's with a HyperStar system.
In other cases a filterwheel is the more logical solution. The wheels can contain more filters (4-9) and they will be protected againts touch and dirt.

The Starlight Xpress filters work very well and only need a USB connection for tha power as well as operating the wheel.
I use both systems and as is said before the UFC system is very good, but expensive and holds only one filter at the time. Changing them in the dark is not very nice... Quality is superb, though.

edit:
If you want to buy the UFC system and don't know what to get, tell me more about your set up: camera, flattener, scope size and number of filters and I will make a list for you.

B.t.w.,  more possibillities are available, just google filterdrawersystem and filterwheel.

Edited by Waldemar