Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Birdwatching & Astronomy Binoculars

Stbk

Hi guys my first post here. I have been looking at this site for several months now, and have decided its time i join. 

I am very interested in purchasing my first real binoculars for use on birdwatching by day, and stargazing by night. I have read Steve's binocular review's and think I know what I would like, but now need further direction.

Naturally I am very interested in the Helios LightQuest-HR 10x50 especially for the stars as the review is fantastic, but i see the focusing is on each eyepiece, will this be an issue when birdwatching  ?

The other bino is the Pentax SP 10x50 WP as the focusing is a central one piece.

I understand both these binoculars I can mount on a tripod and being only 10x50 easily hand held. Regarding both these binoculars am I going to notice any real difference, any advice would be appreciated 

Regards Steve

• Like 1

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. For bird watching I would avoid focusing on each eyepiece. Birds often don’t stay still for long and quick focusing is helpful. When observing the stars you are focusing more or less at infinity and once focused you seldom have to change it. However with bird watching the birds are often at different distances and focusing has to be adjusted frequently.

Edited by laudropb
  • Like 3

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.

I always tend to recommend 10x50s for Astronomy and I use my Olympus Dpsi 10x50s for Astro and Nature viewing.  Some people find them a little on the big side for bird watching and opt for a pair of 8x42s which are much more compact and lighter - so no need to tripod mount.  

Let us know what sort of skies you have as this can impact on how certain size bins can perform.... That extra 8mm really can make a difference in the amount of objects up for grabs in the night sky.

Not sure you'll notice much difference in the two binsyouve mentioned .. both great makes...

Mark

Edited by mark81

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm in Bournemouth England so no idea what sort of sky that is, I'm very new to all this astronomy.

I have a pair of Nikon 8x30 for the garden but they offer no real close up out of the garden or the night sky, hence why I decided on 10x50 as they can be hand held. Whatever I purchase it needs to be able to be tripod mounted for ease at night, but I am unable to find on the Olymus website if the DPSI are able to attach a tripod. It truly is a minefield 

There was a binocular I had thought Steve has reviewed that his wife also enjoyed for daytime as well and was single focuser adjustment. Opticron naturespot from memory, there is a review on binocularsky website. Have 8*42 here and use for night and day as the weight suits, Celestron Granite.

According to Best Binoculars Reviews the current winner among those costing not much more than 400€ is the Hawke Frontier ED X 8x42.

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Hawke-Frontier-8x42-ED-X-Binoculars-Review-232.htm

And FLO has a new Celestron Granite 8x42 that's offered at 285€ instead of 450€ but for some reason it's been sitting there for three or four weeks and no one has jumped at the opportunity yet. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/offers/offer_celestron-granite-42mm-binoculars_123497.html

33 minutes ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

According to Best Binoculars Reviews the current winner among those costing not much more than 400€ is the Hawke Frontier ED X 8x42.

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Hawke-Frontier-8x42-ED-X-Binoculars-Review-232.htm

And FLO has a new Celestron Granite 8x42 that's offered at 285€ instead of 450€ but for some reason it's been sitting there for three or four weeks and no one has jumped at the opportunity yet. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/offers/offer_celestron-granite-42mm-binoculars_123497.html

Thanks for this info. That best binocular review website is interesting. I just thought binos had to be 10x50 upwards for astronomy or you would see nothing. 

I just got these https://www.firstlightoptics.com/opticron-binoculars/opticron-imagic-tga-wp-7x50-binoculars.html

For the money they are a good all rounder, light weight, easily hand held. Not bad during the day or at night. I’m very pleased with them. Obviously not 10x50 so if you’ve set your heart on 10x50 they won’t be what you want, that said, if your open to other options, at this price you can’t go wrong.

Good luck in the final decision.

Steve 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

I just got these https://www.firstlightoptics.com/opticron-binoculars/opticron-imagic-tga-wp-7x50-binoculars.html

For the money they are a good all rounder, light weight, easily hand held. Not bad during the day or at night. I’m very pleased with them. Obviously not 10x50 so if you’ve set your heart on 10x50 they won’t be what you want, that said, if your open to other options, at this price you can’t go wrong.

Good luck in the final decision.

Steve 

Thanks for the info, all advice & experiences appreciated 

Edited by Stbk

I can vouch for the Pentax SP 10x50 WP binocular. Nice and sharp and comfortable to hold. I also use them on a camera tripod.

The 8 x42 binoculars are lighter and easier to hold for birding but you see the difference in light gathering power for astronomy use.

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider separate EP focusing for birding for one second. Useless. Just imagine how many quick glimpses you'd miss.

8x or 10x magnification? A 20% increase in magnification will have very little effect on the detail you can resolve but may have a considerable effect on how still the image appears. It depends on your hands. I use 8x42 for both wildlife and astro, hand held. When younger I was OK with 10x but, pushing 70, I prefer 8x. I wouldn't worry about the difference in apparent brightness between 42 and 50. 

Olly

• Like 5

I also use Olympus DPS1 10x50s. They're good, and they don't cost much - £65. The are easily tripod mountable with a low cost adapter (all but very large binoculars require an adapter, but a decent metal one only costs seven quid).

On 20/10/2019 at 19:44, ollypenrice said:

I wouldn't consider separate EP focusing for birding for one second. Useless. Just imagine how many quick glimpses you'd miss.

8x or 10x magnification? A 20% increase in magnification will have very little effect on the detail you can resolve but may have a considerable effect on how still the image appears. It depends on your hands. I use 8x42 for both wildlife and astro, hand held. When younger I was OK with 10x but, pushing 70, I prefer 8x. I wouldn't worry about the difference in apparent brightness between 42 and 50. 

Olly

Thanks Olly food for through there mate

• 5 months later...

Well it's taken some time but I have finally decided on the Celestron Skymaster Pro 15x70.Being delivered sometime soon from FLO. Thanks for everyone's help and I will keep you all posted.

• Like 1