SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ISS detection from GRAVES scatter - a question

I have seen there are many posts of ISS detection using rdaio scatter from the GRAVES transmitter.  Is it possible to detect the ISS from the side or rear lobes, in the UK?  If so it would nice to plot out where the ISS is and backtrack to GRAVES and map out these side lobes.  I think that this has been done by other European countries and I would like to know what are the regions of space where meteors scatter.

Edited by Geminids

Yes, wxsatuser, that is what I half  remembered. The link to Navarro's paper from Czechoslovakia has their measurements. Could we do a similar thing in the UK and extend the "sky print" ?  No idea how to go about it myself but I am willing to try.

Edited by Geminids

If I had time it would be possible but have to many irons on the go already,

From here on the North side of the South Downs I can hear GRAVES direct most of the time
but I'm blocked quite a bit by the Downs.
This is most likely side lobe as on 144MHz I could'nt normally hear as far south as GRAVES.
On 144Mhz running 2x13elements my best distance south under no tropo enhancement would be
around Paris latitude, under enhancement have reached to French south coast, but thats rare.
The direct signal is receivable from south to south east.

When I have received ISS and other unidentfied sats the signals are quite weak and a couple of times
I have received Moon echos  but they would be off the main beam.

In the north, near Manchester, i use 3 element Yagis with head amp and seldom get tropo but almost invariably i get moon bounce.  Really i would like to know the lat and longitude go ISS when detected to find the furthest north it can be "seen", to help with a meteor simulation model i have developed.