Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Daytime Alignment using SharpCap and the Sun

Rusted

WARNING: SAFE SOLAR FILTRATION REQUIRED FOR THIS!
[APPROVED SOLAR FILTER FOIL IS CHEAP.]

I came across this YT video while searching for daytime, mounting alignment methods.
It might be very handy for those without a view of the Pole.
My guess is that the method relies on an accurate Solar drive rate.

Is this method valid for all users or only solar observers/imagers?
How much does the sun wander relative to the background stars?
Can the same method be applied to The Moon?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Cool..thanks for sharing

Thank you for your interest. :smile:

An update: I wasted hours between heavy showers waiting for the sun to appear.
Only then did I discover [remember!!] the need for a much shorter focal length with my ZWO120MC-S.
The tiny chip in the ZWO 120MC is a powerful magnifying device.  Crop factor of 5.6?

Which meant I needed a safely filtered finder telescope with a 1.25" eyepiece holder.
Of the several finders in my collection none has a standard 1.25" fitting for the camera nose.

A 9x50 [possibly Skywatcher]  finder provided the best solar disk match for the SharpCap circle and crosshairs reticule.
I just need to turn an adaptor for 1.25" fitting on a 2" adapter. The finder tailpiece tube is threaded and undersized for a 2" push fit.

The snap I took of the monitor screen shows the solar disk with a 1000mm focal length considerably overlapping the reticule.
Ideally, the SharpCap reticule needs a solar disk from a focal length between 150 and 200 in conjunction with the ZWO120.
Cameras with larger chips might get away with a longer FL.

P1390800 rsz 600.JPG

Yesterday was spent making a 50mm finder into an alignment camera lens for the ZWO.
It needed a 1.25" fitting for the camera nose so I turned down a 2-1.25" adapter to make a plug fit in the finder tube.

After an hour of early sunshine today I spent the morning dodging thick cloud as I tried to keep the solar disk inside the SharpCap reticule.
The adjustments required to the mounting in Azimuth and PA altitude were all small. Too small to spot with the naked eye.

I've just done a meridian flip and retired for lunch. More later.

The images show the initial but vital camera orientation.
Using zoom in SharpCap provided a large, clear, solar image to exactly match the circular SC reticule.

P1390808 rsz 600.JPG

P1390814 rsz 600.JPG

P1390804 rsz 600.JPG

P1390802 rsz crop.JPG