Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY telescope covers...or a shop bought one...

Hi All,

I am just about to embark on my pier build, (pictures to follow in another thread) and I will want to be able e to leave my mount on the pier, for days or maybe weeks at a time, so am looking at a really good cover, until I decide on ROR shed or Dome in the future...

Now I know the biggest issue is condensation, which I really want to avoid, I Also know that to combat this you need good ventilation / airflow, so there are many covers on the market at a cost, and at a big cost at that, but there are articles on the internet about most of them saying that they still produce condensation, so is it worth spending over £100 for one of these covers or going down the made to measure route, of which I can get a waterproof lined breathable cover for £40, made to my size specifications..

I am want peoples views on which way to go, what benefits do the commercial covers have over the DIY bespoke route...are they better or not...or any other ideas on covers people have...

Thanks for reading..

Edited by WanderingEye

Well, I think the best ones are the TeleGizmo's 365 series covers.
I have a small and a big one, and never condensation under it, unless I close them too tight.
The trick is to not close the bottom part of the cover around your pier, but give the air a chance to get in and out, ventilate.
Mine is out summer and winter, so yes... 365!

edit:
In spite of the fact I never had a problem, I still use NanoTech Electric on all electric and electronical parts. Better safe than sorry!
A set of skiboot heaters under the cover is an option as well.

Edited by Waldemar
  • Like 2