Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mission Accomplished!

FLO

ikarus_imaging_header.thumb.jpg.253abeb7e41d61b42bc0d0080715bad3.jpg

The new Ikarus Imaging website is built and populated 🙂 

The paint is still a little wet in places but the products and brands from Ian King Imaging have been moved to the new website and the man himself is sat by his phone taking calls and responding to emails, just like always. 

Email. info@ikarusimaging.com 

Tel. 01392 791001‬

Why have we (Ian and I) done this?  A few have asked us this question and a number of rumours are circulating so I want to take this opportunity to explain: 

Ian and I have known each other for over a decade.  We have of course routinely discussed business and astro retail.  In particular we recognised and understood the difference between our two companies, FLO and IKI, and the customers they serve.  FLO focuses on a mix of products for astronomy (visual and imaging) and communicates via email and SGL.  At Ian King Imaging, Ian focused exclusively on high-end equipment for astrophotography, communicated largely by phone and attended events. 

Over the years we, both of us, worked to maintain this difference.  We believe doing so has contributed to our individual business success.  FLO grew to become the UK's largest astronomy retailer and Ian King Imaging the most trusted source for high end equipment for astrophotography. 

Then, about three years ago, Ian mentioned how he missed being part of a team (prior to FLO & IKI he worked at Telescope House).  Running a business single-handed is especially challenging.  It can be a lonely experience!  Needless to say I offered him a place at FLO whenever he wanted it.  Earlier this year he accepted and we began making plans. 

The challenge, we agreed, was how to integrate Ian's business with FLO's without it adversely affecting the customers we individually serve.  I was confident FLO's customers would welcome the change but was concerned some of Ian's might not.  They might, I feared, think we would dilute Ian's high-end product range and make it difficult for them to speak with him via phone.  After several conversations (always at Ian's favourite curry house!) we concluded we would build a new website (Ian King Imaging was due an update anyway) fill it with the same high-end astrophotography products and change as little as possible. 

So here we are... 😎

Like Ian King Imaging, Ikarus Imaging focuses entirely on astrophotography.  It has a layout similar to FLO's because it is plugged into FLO's inventory system (FLO handles IT & logistics).  Otherwise it is a standalone website managed by Ian King. 

From Ian and I, a huge thank-you to all the IKI customers who have already made the move to Ikarus Imaging and trusted us with their orders. 

Thank-you also to our manufacturers and suppliers who, without exception, welcomed this change and have worked with us to ensure continuity of supply. 

Best wishes, 

Annette, Grant, Ian, James, Katie, Lisa, Martin, Rob & Steve 🤗

• Like 15

I wish you all the very best of luck with the combined venture. As a customer of both FLO and IKI, I am delighted that you are working together to provide everything the hopeful astronomer could ever need, or, at least for most of the time, dream of!

Ikarus... I presume you won't be dealing in solar products - wouldn't want to get too close to that now!!???!!!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I wish you all the very best of luck with the combined venture. As a customer of both FLO and IKI, I am delighted that you are working together to provide everything the hopeful astronomer could ever need, or, at least for most of the time, dream of!

Thank-you 🙂 

7 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Ikarus... I presume you won't be dealing in solar products - wouldn't want to get too close to that now!!???!!!

Historically Ian hasn't featured products for solar imaging so, unless he changes his mind, it won't be a part of Ikarus Imaging.

At FLO however we already stock the full range of DayStar Quark Solar Eyepieces 🙂 

daystar_quark_eyepiece_chromosphere_1.jp

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FLO said:

... Ian focused exclusively on high-end equipment for astrophotography, communicated largely by phone and attended events. 

Talking of events, Ian will be at the International Astronomy Show on the Ikarus Imaging stand 15th & 16th November (Stoneleigh Park, near Coventry).  

FLO won't be there but myself and a number of our colleagues will be on the stall, mopping his brow and ensuring he doesn't run out of coffee and biccies 😁 

Steve 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FLO said:

Thank-you 🙂 

Historically Ian hasn't featured products for solar imaging so, unless he changes his mind, it won't be a part of Ikarus Imaging.

At FLO however we already stock the full range of DayStar Quark Solar Eyepieces 🙂 

daystar_quark_eyepiece_chromosphere_1.jp

When I wished the new setup luck, I was told none was needed. Has this now changed??!!😀

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Freddie said:

When I wished the new setup luck, I was told none was needed. Has this now changed??!!😀

It was humour. Though clearly I missed the mark. I will try harder next time 🙂 

I am not famed for my humour 😁

Steve 

4 hours ago, FLO said:

Historically Ian hasn't featured products for solar imaging

I did purchase my Lunt LS60DS from Ian in the dim distant historic past :D

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I did purchase my Lunt LS60DS from Ian in the dim distant historic past :D

We have Lunt telescopes at FLO too 🌞

Lunt_50mm_Double-Stack_Etalon_LS50FHa-1b

Lunt aside, we are considering a number of additional brands for both FLO and IKI (we hope to be posting details of at least one later this month) but rest assured nothing will be added to IKI that Ian himself hasn’t suggested or approved. 

Steve

All good news.

So being a joint enterprise now.  If Ian was unavailable because he is off doing one of his other "things", would FLO be able to help with any of Ian's things, and vice versa?  Or is that not how it is going to work?

Carole

Yes. Of course. He is part of a team now 🙂

The same is true for everyone at FLO (i.e. I spent three days this week In the warehouse picking and packing because we were busier than usual and a colleague was on holiday). 

Steve 

• Like 2

Good luck to you both.  Not that I'm lecturing you but one of the biggest differentiators for any business is customer service.  You guys have always excelled at that.  So many pay lip service to this when, in fact, successful businesses are built upon it.  Any none monopoly business will go down the toilet without returning customers and customers will return when they have received good service, through good times and also when things don't go to plan occasionally.

• Thanks 1