Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Ships and Stars

Quality UHC or H beta filters?

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has a quality H beta or UHC filter for visual astro in preferably 2", but 1.25" is also of interest. Looking for Astronomik or Lumicon, but other quality makes are of possible interest. Orion ultrablock, Thousand Oaks, etc.

My Astronomik OIII works wonderfully and Lumicon is highly respected. I'm not super fussy on condition as long as it's usable and the threads aren't damaged as long as price reflects.

Please ping me a message if you have one lying about in need of some use (weather permitting as always!)

NB - I have the Astronomik OIII in both 2" and 1.25" in perfect condition. I would possibly swap the smaller 1.25" Astronomik OIII for a Lumicon or Astronomik UHC or Hb for another 1.25 or 2" plus £ - please see pic below of 1.25. Just a thought if anyone's interested.

Clear skies all.

IMG_20191011_123515852.jpg

Edited by Ships and Stars

3 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has a quality H beta or UHC filter for visual astro in preferably 2", but 1.25" is also of interest. Looking for Astronomik or Lumicon, but any other known make is of possible interest. Orion ultrablock, etc.

Possibly Baader or Explore Scientific? I don't know a heap about these, other than my Astronomik OIII works wonderfully and Lumicon is highly respected. I'm not super fussy on condition as long as it's usable and the threads aren't damaged as long as price reflects.

Please ping me a message if you have one lying about in need of some use (weather permitting as always!)

Clear skies all.

I have been wondering recently if the Altair tri-narrow-band filter would be good for visual observation. 

• Like 1

Not sure if they are available in the UK anymore but I have a couple of Thousand Oaks Optical filters (UHC and H-Beta) which are good performers.  I purchased them from Green Witch who are not around anymore.  Not sure if anyone else stocks them.  Also I believe the Baader filters are worth considering as well alongside the ones you mentioned.

Edit: Should mention mine are not for sale. just recommending other brands to consider.

Edited by DirkSteele
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Adam J said:

I have been wondering recently if the Altair tri-narrow-band filter would be good for visual observation. 

Yes, I'm a bit confused about filter adverts saying they are for CCDs but listed under the visual filter category on websites? The Altair filter sounds quite intriguing! 

It would be so nice to just have about a dozen different filters to hand and swap them quickly for a test on something challenging, there are just so many options out there and I bet two thirds of them are made by the same factory. I'm needing a UHC for general observation, but also the Hb for Cocoon and HH neb this season.

2 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

I have a couple of Thousand Oaks Optical filters (UHC and H-Beta) which are good performers. Also I believe the Baader filters are worth considering as well alongside the ones you mentioned.

I've come across the 1000 Oaks brand recently, they seem to have lots of good reviews on CN. 

Usually visual filters have wider bandwidth compared with ccd versions but if you have dark skies (and hence able to maintain dark adaptation) they may still be usable 

• Thanks 1

The dilemma is whether or not to risk a cheap filter for something I might not have too many chances to see under the right conditions, e.g. Cocoon or HH and NOT see it, versus using a quality filter and seeing it, or at least knowing if I didn't, it wasn't the filter's fault and then second guessing my strategy and equipment- if all this makes sense!

I share the same attitude and concluded that buy quality and cry once is the best policy. Just save for a bit longer and buy the better ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Moonshane said:

Usually visual filters have wider bandwidth compared with ccd versions but if you have dark skies (and hence able to maintain dark adaptation) they may still be usable 

At home it's Bortle 5 or worse, very tricky to maintain dark adaptation (though I just received my eyepatch today in the post, argh matey!), my local dark site is 21.6 B4 easy to keep dark adaptation, and my good site is about a 21.94, about as good as I can hope for in the UK without going to North Uist! A narrow CCD filter might do the trick for me with enough aperture. 

• Haha 1

I took the cheap option when I bought an Optolong H Beta filter in the hope of seeing the Horsey - nope, not a hope, even in my Bortle4/5 skies and Orion well up in the sky there was not the fainterst hint of any nebulosity whatsoever.

All the filters I have bought since have been either Astronomik OIII and UHC or Baader Neodymium with good results. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Geoff Barnes said:

I took the cheap option when I bought an Optolong H Beta filter in the hope of seeing the Horsey - nope, not a hope, even in my Bortle4/5 skies and Orion well up in the sky there was not the fainterst hint of any nebulosity whatsoever.

All the filters I have bought since have been either Astronomik OIII and UHC or Baader Neodymium with good results. :) 

That's my worry, we have another wee one on the way so my chances are going to be even more limited and need to make them count. I love my Astronomik OIII! I have both a 1.25 and a 2" in perfect condition, might be willing to swap the 1.25 for a nice UHC or Hb if anyone picks this up (shall edit original post to reflect, now I think of it). Thanks Geoff!

• Like 1