Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Newbie in Notts

AstroTim

Hi All,

I’m a relative beginner at astronomy. I’m primarily doing visual observing (mainly planets and lunar at the moment) but hope to progress onto some simple imaging in the near future, again starting with planets.

Tim

Yes, having “lurked” on a few discussions to date, there are clearly some very knowledgable people around, who are prepared to give balanced advice i.e. that bigger isn’t always better, and not just recommending the most expensive equipment.

Tim

Edited by AstroTim

The cheapest way to try a bit of simple lunar / planetary imaging to to get a mobile phone eyepiece adapter and use your phone. You can get some quite decent results and an easy way to dip your toe into AP.

Couple of smartphone shots with my dob.

89475AD7-3472-486F-B42D-560276BAA575.png

2717C068-2312-4C5A-B933-ED69F88B1DB5.png

A9D92354-2FC3-4876-847C-928B3FE98E0B.png

Hi Tim, a warm welcome to SGL and the hobby from a fellow Nottingham enthusiast. Your plan for observing and imaging the brighter planets is sound given the light pollution we have in the area though maybe at some date you will consider imaging using a Ha filter to do some DSO work. Enjoy the hobby and let's hope the weather is favourable, finger's crossed.

Cheers,
Steve

Thank you all for the welcome messages. I haven’t really looked into the use of filters at all, but reading up quickly on the HA filter and does sound interesting. Would it improve nebula for visual, or just imaging purposes? I have also seen a couple of comments that indicate a skyglow filter might be a worthwhile purchase, as it sounds like they might also help with planetary detail, but need to read up on how effective they are first.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Welcome. Great advice on here, everyones really friendly and helpful.

I'm Derby based, work in Notts, and i know a fair few observers from all over those parts.

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to link it, but theres another more localised forum as well you can check out.

https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/?_fromLogout=1