Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Copernicus Crater

Lurcher

Hi everyone. Well the weather's been pretty yuk just lately hasn't it?? I managed to get out in my back garden on Tuesday a little later than hoped, I struggled for a while not finding anything I was looking for, but then re-did my two star alignment and finally started to find things. I checked out a few a few double stars in Andromeda, Pegasus and Cassiopeia, and ended the night with a quick sketch of the moon again. It's nothing great, but I thought it would give me the opportunity to say hello again to everyone. (Haven't posted anything for a while). I'm hoping to get some little sketches of some of the double stars on the next clear night, I'm finding double stars really quite enjoyable to find and view at the moment. Cheers for now . .  . 

ScanItem-007.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

On 11/10/2019 at 14:42, Mike JW said:

I have never sketched Copernicus.

Hi Mike, Thanks for your message. Good to hear from you too. It was nice to catch the 10 day old  moon. Not a phase I ever seem to catch. - I've been wanting to have a go at sketching the Bullialdus Crater ever since seeing a fantastic drawing of it by Erika Rix. I noticed that night there was another interesting crater which caught my eye along the terminator but I decided the Copernicus crater looked a better target. It wasn't until I was looking up the details of the area I'd drawn that I saw the other crater which had caught my eye was the Bullialdus Crater I'd been waiting for.

It looked tiny and I couldn't see any of the detail Erika shows in her drawing, so she must have used a heck of a lot of magnification.

Having now seen it for myself I now know what I'm looking for next time.

Thanks for Mike and all the best, Martin.

Your Lunar sketches are really good!  I never seem to have the patience for all the shading.  

I have also thought of doing some double star sketches, so I'll look forward to seeing how you get along.  I guess, to make a double star sketch more interesting, we'll have to include notes on the star mag, the separation, the scope mag, ep, ETC...

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mark81 said:

I guess, to make a double star sketch more interesting, we'll have to include notes on the star mag, the separation, the scope mag, ep, ETC...

Hi Mark, Thanks so much for your comments. Yes I have to say my star sketches are going to be really rough-and-ready like my lunar sketches. I've been amazed by others on here where they show the defraction and glow of the star. My aim is just to have a visual record, and as you say, a written description of the stars. I've attached some earlier sketches which I did of some easy doubles.

I've now bought a book called "Double Stars for Small Telescopes" by "Sissy Haas" published by "Sky & Telescope". It doesn't have any SAO numbers which I rely on but it does have a short description next to each entry which I find useful, and I then cross reference with the Cambridge Double Star Atlas to get the SAO numbers where I can. I've also printed off some A4 Double Star sheets so I can now add more text next time.  . . .  Just waiting for some clear skies now!!

If you get there before I do please let me know!

ScanItem-004.bmp.jpg

ScanItem-002.bmp.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Martin and Mark,

Doubles fascinate me. I have made doubles data bases (excel) for all the northern constellations , based on the 2nd edition of the Cambridge Double Star Atlas. These doubles in this 2nd edition are true doubles (or multiples), rather than optical ones. Most have SAO numbers.

I have attached an example which has my notes in it as well. I could supply all my lists - very happy to do this. Is the forum the  correct way to do this?

Andromeda doubles Cambridge.xlsx

Sissy Haas book is very good.

As to the best way to present a doubles sketch - there are as usual several approaches. Sometimes I will include details, other times I go for the art effect........

Mike

Albireo.thumb.png.00bf82773eadc08cddbc657227496f23.png1857002586_CapellaandSTF669.thumb.png.9bfefe8d88b2b0cd0895c115835170e1.png121640163_Vegalowpower.thumb.jpg.298f5f86f1c75db4c76bad6dda8e07f1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Mike JW

Hi Mike, Wow that's an impressive set of information and records. I like the look of the Capella and STF 669 field of view. I shall have to check that out myself and see if I can see that grouping too. Thanks for uploading your list of doubles in Andromeda. I like the fact that you're not afraid to say in your report when two doubles aren't exactly much to look at, which is just as important as highlighting the really good ones. 

I look forward to seeing more Mike. Very impressive the way you've done all of the above.

I've noticed other people post these sort of reports under "Observation reports" so we'll have to do that too I suppose. I know @cotterless45 often posts excellent double star and star reports with sketches.

(I'm going back now to have a better look at your Andromeda list and see if I can save it to my computer - with thanks).

• Like 1