Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Reliable 2 pin DC connector

msacco

Hello guys, up until now I've been using car socket to power up my equipment, I'm now looking for a more reliable DC connectors and I'd love to hear some recommendations.

I would like to keep it on a rather low budget, I did see a lot of recommendations about power pole/anderson connector, it does look like a great connector, and I thought about getting the following fuse splitter for it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AP-8-8port-40A-ANDERSON-POWERPOLE-CONNECTOR-POWER-SPLITTER-DISTRIBUTOR-SOURCE/143247534838?hash=item215a37eaf6:g:Eo4AAOSwZSFXJvh3

It's rather expensive though, and I thought if maybe one of you would have a better idea in mind to achieve a similar solution as this. The basic idea is to get a good reliable 2 pin DC connector, I'd honeslty prefer one with screwing so it won't be able to split unless I screw it, and I also rather have a solderless solution, as that's usually easier to maintain and make.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks! :)

6 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I use these, they screw together, take heavy currents and cheap. Might be an issue if your soldering is not up to it though.

GX16-2-Pin-16mm-Aviation-Automotive-Connector-Female-Socket-Male-Plug

Steve

My solder is rather old, so I would try to avoid soldering as I fear it won't be good enough and eventually create more issues in the long run.

Do you have any alternative for the power pole fuse box as well? I could probably make something similar maybe, how are you wiring that? And do plug it straight forward from the 12v battery to the mount/other equipments? (with a fuse I assume)

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

You can use speaker connectors if it's for a power pack, I use similar Powecon connectors, no soldering and lock.

Dave

Powercon.png.06d870bb1382744a4d16b5ca53900add.png

That seems very interesting! Can you tell me what is the name of the connector? And what is the maximum cable gauge I can use?

Thanks! :)

2 minutes ago, msacco said:

And do plug it straight forward from the 12v battery to the mount/other equipments? (with a fuse I assume)

Definitely not. You need a suitable fuse somewhere. No need to fuse everything separate but a suitable sized fuse, 5A maybe depending on what you intend to run, needs to be after the battery in the +12V side.

Steve

1 minute ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Definitely not. You need a suitable fuse somewhere. No need to fuse everything separate but a suitable sized fuse, 5A maybe depending on what you intend to run, needs to be after the battery in the +12V side.

Steve

I believe I would rather have a separate fuse for almost each component I'm using.

Camera + guiding camera with probably 3-5A fuse, the mount with 3A fuse I believe, and my laptop which will need 5A fuse as well. That sounds better to me than using a 10-15A fuse for all of them doesn't it?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, msacco said:

hat seems very interesting! Can you tell me what is the name of the connector? And what is the maximum cable gauge I can use?

Neutrik. they also do Speakercon take any size cable you're likely to use

Just about see that mine have individual fuses behind them.

Dave

42 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Neutrik. they also do Speakercon take any size cable you're likely to use

Just about see that mine have individual fuses behind them.

Dave

Wow, this cable looks amazing I think I'll get this one..

Edit - So I just notice that the female(i think) of this cable does require soldering, the connectors are also very very close to each other, so I'll need to rethink about this. Maybe soldering the GX16 will be easier than this.

Edited by msacco

The powerpole distribution boards and connectors are cheaper than the neutricks and the distribution boards are compact and already made up. No sockets to mount and wire. The plugs are also crimp connections so no soldering. I am about to wire up my rig using them, so I will find out how easy it is in practice.

20 hours ago, markse68 said:

£10? I guess it's quite expensive but they are great connectors- speakons too

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mains-plugs-sockets/8997387/

15 hours ago, markse68 said:

You can get the Speakons with screw terminals- thought I'd seen them. And they're cheaper

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/loudspeaker-connectors/8997390/

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/loudspeaker-connectors/3400958/

Thanks! I'll need to find it on aliexpress/ebay though :)

14 hours ago, old_eyes said:

The powerpole distribution boards and connectors are cheaper than the neutricks and the distribution boards are compact and already made up. No sockets to mount and wire. The plugs are also crimp connections so no soldering. I am about to wire up my rig using them, so I will find out how easy it is in practice.

Let me know how it goes please! Would love to see some results.