Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Portech7

Skywatcher EQ3-2 Tripod Upgrade

Hi all

After some advice please.

Anyone upgraded a SW EQ3-2 with this tripod? it states its compatible with EQ5, HEQ5 AND EQ3-2 mounts. I don't want to buy another setup as my EQ3-2 pro mount is actually very good, stable and smooth following a strip down and grease, but the tripod legs do let the team down slightly as they can flex a tad. The current tripod is ok when extra ballast is added but for £109 the upgraded tripod appears to be a good cheap upgrade on paper.

I think I'm sold on them, but still worth a double check. 

https://www.365astronomy.com/SkyWatcher-Heavy-Duty-Tripod-for-Skytee-HEQ5-EQ5-EQ3-2-Mounts.html

Upgrading to the 1.75 inch steel tube legs tripod (who ever you buy it from) makes a lot of difference to the stability of the EQ3-2 mount I found when I had one. That alloy tripod is the weak link for sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Dare we mention Berlebach.   He, he 🤔😁😁😁

Yes I've read a few posts about that 🙂

Cheers all, sounds like a good upgrade, so thank you.

• Like 1

I have just gone down this route. I was lucky and picked up a brand New EQ5 tripod still in its box for £50. Not used it yest but surely must be more stable.

• Like 1

Another thought is essentially the same tripod with 2" legs. No harm in future proofing.

A few years back Skywatcher EQ5 came with the 1.75" tripod, but the Celestron equivalent came with a 2" tripod.

Not sure about the top fixing though. Best to measure up before buying.

There are sometimes minor differences on the mount/tripod interface.

HTH David.

• Like 1

The EQ5 and EQ6 are different fittings. You can however uae an EQ6 tripod if you get a Geoptik EQ5 adapter.

There is an an EQ6 tripod on ABS at a third of the new price at the moment. It’s listed as an AZ-EQ6 tripod but it’s the same tripod. https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=153369

Total cost would be about the same as the EQ5 tripod but you’d have a heavier duty tripod.

E00FF59B-CD3A-43D3-9788-BC30D385A483.jpeg

32B223CB-04C0-4E47-98E8-09037EA923BB.jpeg

Hi Portech, the EQ5 tripod is absolutely solid and will also serve you for any future upgrade, it will make your viewing more pleasurable.  My mount has a SkyTee II mount on it, but it shows how strong and solid it is for now and future options:

sky-tee.jpg.7db229846f99737619fe74c56264aa88.jpg

• Like 1

I agree it will work if u get that tripod. It will be more solid.

If u want a lighter weight I find the aluminium tripod ok if u live in an apt or condo and carry it downstairs and outside.

Thanks for all the support and advice all.

I was pretty much sold on it already so I think I'll go with the 1.75" EQ5 tripod.

Cheers rwilkey nice to see one in the flesh 😁