Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

NigeB

COMPLETED - SOLD: Takahashi TOA 150 + 70 mm finder and Parallax Rings

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngPlease read the full description.

This is a duplicate of the advert posted on Astro Buy Sell.

For sale is my Takahashi TOA 150 refractor, fitted with the large (70 mm) illuminated finder, and Parallax Rings (not shown).

Images taken with this telescope can be found on my Flickr astronomy album:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk148DDF

Additional images *of* the telescope can be found in this Flickr album:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHA1Cik

As shown in some of the photos, the coating on the objective shows small spots, usually not obvious but they show up clearly under sunlight/daylight, which is when the close-up image of the lens was taken (ignore the BIG blue spots in lines - these are the reflection of my observatory lights!) 

The small spots have been caused by pollen grains being allowed to settle on the lens for an extended period of time - they break down releasing enzymes which etch the coating. It's a known issue, to which Taks seem particularly susceptible (search the web), especially if like me, you tend not to clean optics until "absolutely necessary". The spots are very small and though they look silvery in one of the images, they're transparent - it's reflection at the different refractive index boundary which makes them look the way they do. The total area occupied by the spots is tiny, and so the effect on image quality is very small indeed. The objective has been thoroughly and carefully cleaned with Baader Fluid and Purosol to ensure that there are no traces of the particles left, so this issue is not progressive.

There are a couple of minor marks on the tube; the focuser is the A-type, and the shortcomings of that are well documented. I used it successfully for visual work, and then fitted a Lakeside focuser to it for imaging, at which point the shortcomings of the focuser design become largely irrelevant. The images on my web page were taken in this state, with the stock focuser and Lakeside autofocus. The Lakeside motor mounting bracket is included in the sale in case the next owner wants to go down the same route, but note that I'm not selling the motor or controller.

I'm trying to price the 'scope realistically - a significant reduction on the typical used prices for this telescope to reflect the issue. The telescope will produce the classic Takahashi image quality now, and the future owner may choose to simply to use it as it stands. Of course, the cell can be returned to Takahashi for re-coating if desired, to restore it to an as-new objective. That doesn't come cheap - though adding the cost to the sale price still results in a total cost far below the price tag of a new TOA 150.

The Parallax rings will need to be fixed to a dovetail plate (not included), and then it's ready to go. Metal aperture cover included as shown.  There's also a cover for the 70 mm finder, though it is a very loose fit.

I've been as open and honest in this listing as I can be - I'm trying to hide nothing, and  questions are welcome. 

Price £4000, collection only from Braunston, Rutland (LE15 8QX).

UPDATE - SOLD.

IMG_8561.JPG

IMG_8563.JPG

IMG_8568.JPG

IMG_8556.JPG

IMG_8566.JPG

IMG_8569.JPG

IMG_8564.JPG

IMG_8574.JPG

IMG_8565.JPG

IMG_8570.JPG

IMG_8575.JPG

IMG_8558.JPG

IMG_8576.JPG

IMG_8567.JPG

IMG_8572.JPG

IMG_8577.JPG

IMG_8559.JPG

IMG_8560.JPG

IMG_8571.JPG

IMG_8557.JPG

IMG_0866.jpeg

Edited by NigeB
SOLD.
  • Like 2

Wow, what a 'scope for someone at a reasonable price for such a large, premium refractor.  The slight marks on the objective will not have any effect whatsoever. They may worry some people about the resale value although at £4000 it is still a good deal. If I'd not got a TEC140 I would have snapped this up.

Good luck with the sale.

• Like 2

Out of interest what is the price to have it re-coated?

2 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Wow, what a 'scope for someone at a reasonable price for such a large, premium refractor.  The slight marks on the objective will not have any effect whatsoever. They may worry some people about the resale value although at £4000 it is still a good deal. If I'd not got a TEC140 I would have snapped this up.

Good luck with the sale.

The current price of a new TOA-150B with tube rings and 7 x 50 finder at Rother Valley Optics is £14,500, there appears to have been a recent price increase.

John 

• Like 1

If anyone is sitting on the fence about this scope I’d say go for it, you’ll wait years to see another one come round and the lens marks won’t make a jot of difference.  I’d have loved one of these but they are insane money brand new.

• Like 1

I agree with Steve, that is a brilliant deal for somebody. If I hadn’t recently purchased a nearly new Esprit 150 on here, I would have been at the front of the queue.

A beautiful and I imagine rare scope, I am sure the spots would have no effect what so ever on the views, would have liked it out here but but again my biggest problem, shipping, this threw a spanner in it for me, as even I wouldn't take the risk to have have something like this couriered this far.

Alan