SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi all, new to this forum and to this hobby and looking for a bit of advice. My main focus on this is AP and I have purchased a sky watcher eq35m pro mount with goto.  I have a Celestron 130 to mount on top. (Starter scope). As a start I will be mostly be based at home s I am looking for a cheap’ish way to power the mount via 240volt to 12volt input. I would appreciate any advice given.

thanks all

richard 

I'm assuming your mount came with a cigarette style plug?  If so I would recommend placing https://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/nevada-ps-08-6a-8a-regulated-linear-power-supply.html at your nearest electricity plug indoors and run https://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/lynx-astro-silicone-power-cable-extension.html to your mount.  

• Like 1

When away from home I use a 110 amp leisure battery purchased from a local caravan shop. Made up a lead with crocodile clips and a cigarette socket from Halfords. Just be sure to get the positive\ negative connections correct and possibly a small trolley to carry everything. Good luck and clear skies mate.

I bought this for using with my SkyWatcher 10 inch dobsonion https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-lithium-lifepo4-powertank.html

A bit pricier some other battery packs that people use but it's a lot smaller and very light, seems to hold a lot of charge, no need for crocodile clips as long your mount has the cigarette lighter plug (just need an adapter to connect), and also it's lithium phosphate so more longevity than some of the cheaper lead acid types.

Hi Richard.

If you are going for mains powered then it is always easier on cabling if you run 240V from the house to near the scope and keep short 12V lines to the scope, the camera, the dew heater, hot air blower, the laptop/tablet. Yes AP kit grows!

Put your mains supply on a low table or similar off the ground to prevent damp. A table helps with accessory storage.
When using a linear power supply as described earlier, the self heating in the supply will generally keep it dry for the session.

Always ensure there is a residual current breaker, or RCD, or (incorrectly named) earth leakage breaker in the mains power line from the house.
Domestic mains circuits (unless quite old) include one (or more) in the consumer unit. If in doubt, fit a plug top variety.

Think that is enough to get you started.

hope this helps, David.