Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CCD strange dot matrix on image

bendiddley

Slowly getting to grips with my starlight xpress SXVF-M25C CCD. Last thing on the list I'm trying to figure out is a strange matrix of dots on my images. Have included a close up of a star which shows it clearly. Is this the bayer matrix? Anyone know how can I get rid of it from my images?

Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 08.27.33.png

Edited by bendiddley

It looks like the bayer matrix = have you de-bayered the image?  You can de-bayer either using starlight software for the camera or using a processing software, you may need to experiment to find the correct  matrix pattern. 

Jim

Hello bendiddleyDebayering needs to be done after image calibration Darks, Flats, Bias " if you have any " but before stacking the images, in DSS at the bottom of the list of options on the left, you'll see an option setting for Raw/FITS DeBayering, hence DSS should also be to debayer.

3 minutes ago, artem said:

Hello bendiddleyDebayering needs to be done after image calibration Darks, Flats, Bias " if you have any " but before stacking the images, in DSS at the bottom of the list of options on the left, you'll see an option setting for Raw/FITS DeBayering, hence DSS should also be to debayer.

Great thanks.

By the way, I have the same CCD " SXV M25C " guess it is the even older one, and that is one my best COLOR CCD's I have, it has no COOLING, but the images are still stunning.. Good luck Martin

19 minutes ago, artem said:

By the way, I have the same CCD " SXV M25C " guess it is the even older one, and that is one my best COLOR CCD's I have, it has no COOLING, but the images are still stunning.. Good luck Martin

Cheers martin. I've been having quite a lot of teething issues, this was one of them, but I'm slowly ticking them off, looking forward to doing some proper imaging (eventually lol).

12 minutes ago, bendiddley said:

Cheers martin. I've been having quite a lot of teething issues, this was one of them, but I'm slowly ticking them off, looking forward to doing some proper imaging (eventually lol).

Hi bendiddley, you mean TILTING ?? ohh yes, I have the same problems, but the SXV M25C has a built in TILTING ADAPTER.. you need to play with the screws, until you have tilt solved..

Just now, artem said:

Hi bendiddley, you mean TILTING ?? ohh yes, I have the same problems, but the SXV M25C has a built in TILTING ADAPTER.. you need to play with the screws, until you have tilt solved..

Interesting. Did you flatten yours out, or did you apply some tilt? I've been playing with the spacing to get the back focus distance right with coma corrector which I think I've sorted but I've still got some slightly stretched stars in the top left and right areas of my image, I'm wondering if this is being caused by the tilting. The camera has some tilt on it which was how it was when I bought it. Do you think flattening it out might resolve this?

Hello  bendiddley  I did spend a while to figure out how to get the TILT issue solved, I have a software for that, where I can adjust the TILT while the CCD is taking images ( which is a very frustrating process ) or you take a picture and see how the TILT looks like ( in the software ) and adjust the TILT ADAPTER's screw on SVCM25C and take another one and so on, until you have happy with the results..

Here is an image taken with the SXV M25C ( 53x 60 seconds ) with no DARK and no FLAT.

Cheers

Martin

image.png.5ee42aac467ba456d0f74cb0bdfd9c66.png

https://www.astrobin.com/389518/0/?nc=user

Cheers

Martin

24 minutes ago, artem said:

Hi bendiddley, you mean TILTING ?? ohh yes, I have the same problems, but the SXV M25C has a built in TILTING ADAPTER.. you need to play with the screws, until you have tilt solved..

Thanks. Interestingly the tilt is applied over the area that would correspond with the top of image. I am wondering if gradually lessening this part might resolve the problem.