Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Having upgraded from canon 1000D to Nikon D5300  how do users of the 5300 find it for Astro I will be using with APT , and how do you take flats as I can’t use Av mode as there is nothing in tools menu to choose no lens ,  do you use in manual mode  and look at histogram ? .

Hi

It's been a while (I switched the other way) but IIRC there's a shutter release option in (one of) the custom menu(s). Otherwise, yeah. Just get the histogram somewhere central by fiddling with the shutter speed in M.

HTH

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

It's been a while (I switched the other way) but IIRC there's a shutter release option in (one of) the custom menu(s). Otherwise, yeah. Just get the histogram somewhere central by fiddling with the shutter speed in M.

HTH

Meant to say using via APT ,Update,  after posting on APT  forum Ivo thinks av mode should be working now I need to  hook camera back up to pc and recheck  something tonight  .

Update, I can use aperture priority via camera to measure exposure of light source but can’t  start flats in Apt in A mode (AV mode ) unless I switch to Manual mode at least knowing what the exposure should be is fine as I use light panel so once I know what the setting should be I can edit Flats plan and not need to use A mode .

update, Ivo has gave me a Solution to try tonight  which should hopefully solve issue .

Edited by bottletopburly

Got to the bottom of this conundrum using APT , basically you can’t run a flats plan in A mode using D5300 to use a flats plan in apt using Nikon D5300 due to cameras capabilities, I can measure exposure by turning camera dial to A mode, note exposure needed for my light panel , return to manual mode and edit flats plan in APT , note in  APT >Tools >settings >Advanced , there is an Advanced flats/bias  make sure this box is ticked  , you can now choose and run a flats plan in M mode thanks to @Yoddha for getting to the bottom of this . .

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By KevS
      This evening/morning I am having some problems getting my unmodified canon 600d to live view via apt. One hell of a palaver trying to get focused. Has any one suffered similar problems? Was working fine yesterday, tonight a bit of a disaster all round. I am running the feed for the guide camera down the same USB cable via a non powered hub, the camera works fine during the data gathering phase but no dam preview. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      K
    • By bottletopburly
      Currently setting up a pi4 with indigosky which will be run via APT , running win10  and the the latest APT Beta release 3.75.2 , now I can connect to indigosky server via browser , but I can’t connect via APT  indigo control panel throws up an error can’t connect to indigo or indi server  server address is default Indigosky , server port 7624 , on pressing navigate server error says dns address can’t be found , has anyone been successful in connecting to indigosky via APT running win10.
    • By Kcks Regulus Star
      On the 2nd of July I closed my curtains one night before I went to bed but, before they were shut I noticed a strange multicoloured light flickering low in the sky in the northern celestial hemisphere. I Thought to myself if that is a star it looks amazing. The next night (3rd of July) I decided to take another look at this multicoloured light which was still there, Only this time I used my binoculars, I was seeing blues, greens & reds. We have all seen stars by looking up into the sky but, I have never seen a star create multi colours before. It makes you feel excited inside and you think that no one else can see this until you tell them and share the same experience together. I believe I was looking at the Capella Star which is the brightest star in the constellation Auriga and your not kidding it is bright. I cant wait to have another look tonight to see if the multi colours are still there. I would like to have taken at picture of it but I am not setup to do that just yet as I am very new to star gazing. I wish someone here can confirm what I saw and to post a picture of it would be awesome. 
      Nikon Prostaff 3s 8 x 42
    • By Xiga
      I thought i'd revisit this one, as i was never truly sure abut the processing originally. 
      So with this one, i sought to improve the stars (they're a big improvement) but also bring out more of the dark nebulosity. Did i go too far though?! Looking at it again today i think i may have. 🤔
      Details:
      Ha: 7 x 480s, 6 x 1200, 13 x 1200 (a little over 7 Hrs)
      OIII: 9 x 1200s (3 Hrs)
      RGB (with IDAS-D1 filter): 20 x 60s
      The usual Flats & Bias, stacked in APP and processed in PS. 
      Gear used: Nikon D5300 (modded); SW 80ED (522mm FL); HEQ5-Pro; SGPro and PHD2. 
      The original version can be seen on the Astrobin link.
      C&C welcome and clear skies folks!
      ps - At the moment this is still at 100%, but i'll probably end up down-sampling it to about 50%. I don't think it can hold up to 100% tbh. 

Edit - Here's the new, now much more toned-down, version. It's a clear improvement, so i'll have to keep reminding myself not to try and go for big & bright, when subdued nearly always ends up looking better!

Original, nasty over-bright version:
      https://astrob.in/346428/C/

• By Rhushikesh-Canisminor
      Hello to all!
      Posting a photograph of the Summer Milky Way band that I took last week.
      However, I do not know how should I feel about this!
      This is when the band was right overhead, which is a rare sight for us and happens only when monsoon season is delayed. There was decent glow towards horizon but literally nothing at zenith.
      19 degrees north latitude, around Bortle 3 level sky, taken using Nikon 5300, basic lens.
      And with this, I prepare to have no view of stars till September ends 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.