Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon D5300

bottletopburly

Having upgraded from canon 1000D to Nikon D5300  how do users of the 5300 find it for Astro I will be using with APT , and how do you take flats as I can’t use Av mode as there is nothing in tools menu to choose no lens ,  do you use in manual mode  and look at histogram ? .

Hi

It's been a while (I switched the other way) but IIRC there's a shutter release option in (one of) the custom menu(s). Otherwise, yeah. Just get the histogram somewhere central by fiddling with the shutter speed in M.

HTH

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

It's been a while (I switched the other way) but IIRC there's a shutter release option in (one of) the custom menu(s). Otherwise, yeah. Just get the histogram somewhere central by fiddling with the shutter speed in M.

HTH

Meant to say using via APT ,Update,  after posting on APT  forum Ivo thinks av mode should be working now I need to  hook camera back up to pc and recheck  something tonight  .

Update, I can use aperture priority via camera to measure exposure of light source but can’t  start flats in Apt in A mode (AV mode ) unless I switch to Manual mode at least knowing what the exposure should be is fine as I use light panel so once I know what the setting should be I can edit Flats plan and not need to use A mode .

update, Ivo has gave me a Solution to try tonight  which should hopefully solve issue .

Edited by bottletopburly

Got to the bottom of this conundrum using APT , basically you can’t run a flats plan in A mode using D5300 to use a flats plan in apt using Nikon D5300 due to cameras capabilities, I can measure exposure by turning camera dial to A mode, note exposure needed for my light panel , return to manual mode and edit flats plan in APT , note in  APT >Tools >settings >Advanced , there is an Advanced flats/bias  make sure this box is ticked  , you can now choose and run a flats plan in M mode thanks to @Yoddha for getting to the bottom of this . .