Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Having upgraded from canon 1000D to Nikon D5300  how do users of the 5300 find it for Astro I will be using with APT , and how do you take flats as I can’t use Av mode as there is nothing in tools menu to choose no lens ,  do you use in manual mode  and look at histogram ? .

Hi

It's been a while (I switched the other way) but IIRC there's a shutter release option in (one of) the custom menu(s). Otherwise, yeah. Just get the histogram somewhere central by fiddling with the shutter speed in M.

HTH

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

It's been a while (I switched the other way) but IIRC there's a shutter release option in (one of) the custom menu(s). Otherwise, yeah. Just get the histogram somewhere central by fiddling with the shutter speed in M.

HTH

Meant to say using via APT ,Update,  after posting on APT  forum Ivo thinks av mode should be working now I need to  hook camera back up to pc and recheck  something tonight  .

Update, I can use aperture priority via camera to measure exposure of light source but can’t  start flats in Apt in A mode (AV mode ) unless I switch to Manual mode at least knowing what the exposure should be is fine as I use light panel so once I know what the setting should be I can edit Flats plan and not need to use A mode .

update, Ivo has gave me a Solution to try tonight  which should hopefully solve issue .

Edited by bottletopburly

Got to the bottom of this conundrum using APT , basically you can’t run a flats plan in A mode using D5300 to use a flats plan in apt using Nikon D5300 due to cameras capabilities, I can measure exposure by turning camera dial to A mode, note exposure needed for my light panel , return to manual mode and edit flats plan in APT , note in  APT >Tools >settings >Advanced , there is an Advanced flats/bias  make sure this box is ticked  , you can now choose and run a flats plan in M mode thanks to @Yoddha for getting to the bottom of this . .

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Padraic M
      How can I set up APT so that it always connects by default to my imaging camera? I have an irritating problem that APT will regularly connect to my guide camera, even though that camera is already connected in Phd2.
      I have created two APT shortcuts on the desktop, one specifying camera 2 (which usually is the guidecam) and the other specifying camera 1 (which is usually the imaging camera), but it looks like cameras 1 and 2 are not absolutely assigned to the ASI1600mm (imaging) and ASI290MC (guiding).
      At APT startup, in the log it will say 'Connected to ASI1600mm' and then imediately say 'sensor size 5.6mmx3.2mm'. Then I know I have a problem as it's obviously not the 1600! I can usually sort it out by disconnecting, Shift-Connecting (to get the camera selection dialog), and selecting cameras 1 and 2 until I get the correct sensor size.
      There must be a better way?
    • By Starbuddypal
      I'm trying to get a photo of Jupiter and Saturn with my Nikon D3000 DSLR but I can't get anything clear. I attached the kind of photos I'm getting with my camera. They end up being too bright and no distinguishable features show up. Is it even possible for my Nikon to get photos of planetary objects like Saturn and Jupiter?

• By Blackware
      I just got into observing and would love to be able to take a picture of what I'm seeing. I got an old Nikon D60 from 2012? laying here still working perfectly with multiple lenses. I did some research and found I should buy some kind of T-ring as an adapter between the telescope and camera. Is this the only thing I need to take an image ? 
      Thanks in advance!
    • By Varavall
      I sell my refurbished Nikon 300mm AF-S VR f2,8G ED with Nikon warranty until September 2020. I am selling as my interests require different equipment. It is in excellent functional state, the tripod mount and the original Nikon hood have wear commensurate with normal use. This objective is excellent for wildlife photography, astrophotography and sports photography. Also included is a set of Gobe neutral density filters to enable long exposure in bright conditions. I would consider exchange, with monetary adjustment if necessary, for something for astronomy such as Takahashi telescopes and/or quality equatorial mount.

Price £1900 (Current model available new for around £5500)

• By Ken Mitchell
      Hi all,
      For a long time I wanted to shoot this frame, probably from the early days of my astrophotography adventure.
      Finally after all these years I managed to get a decent result of the 'stuff' between these two beautiful nebulae. Fairly happy with the image but always looking for improvement.
      I hope one day to redo this all with a mono camera and filters. 
      Apart from NGC1499 , M45 and the Baby Eagle Nebula no idea what else is in the picture. If you happen to have an idea feel free to educate me.

Some info on image and capturing:
      Widefield Pleiades to California.
      Taken over 2 nights with a total of 11hrs 25min integration.  
      With a stock Nikon d610 and Nikkor 85mm 1.8 objective.
      Tracking was done with the Skywatcher Star Adventurer.
      Lights and all calibrations frames were stacked in DSS.
      Processing was done in Adobe Photoshop CC using Adobe Raw, GradientXterminator plugin, HLVG plugin, Nik software plugins and Photokemi action set.

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.