SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dob or Sabre for 6” f5 Newtonian?

Alan White

Your thoughts on comfort and ease of use for a 6” f5 Newtonian, I have had several of these and pondering another. Maybe another yet to come as grab and go scope.

But to mount on a Altair Sabre or Dobsonian for seated observing, to save the knees and back.

Your input and thoughts will be appreciated.

I've used one of the Skywatcher 150 F/5 newts on an AZ-4 mount head and it worked pretty well. A Giro or a Sabre would be more than adequate I'd have thought. The AZ100 would be overkill (but in a lovely way !) IMHO :smiley:

• Like 1

One thing that I've found about the dob mount is that they are really steady, in terms of vibration / shake control, when using high magnifications. Goodness knows what an alt-az or eq mount that would hold my 12 F/5.3 inch dob steady would cost or how big it would need to be but the simple plywood dob mount that Moonshane made for my scope a few years back holds it really solidly even when using 400x or more.

• Like 1

Well it's more than a thought, the OOUK f5 OD150 is a reality.
Of course it sits very well on the Sabre, but I think it will sit even better on a wee dob mount.
I just need to find one for sale or gulp and shell out for a new OOUK one.

IMG_3632.thumb.JPG.59c2110f9726fdaa633ea2151e2de62f.JPG