SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Prototype Sky-Watcher Evolux ED Refractors

FLO

On 08/10/2019 at 20:48, Davey-T said:

Where did the fashion for odd size objectives come from 61, 71, 62, 72, 73, 82 etc etc, does it really make any difference to the view ?

Dave

yeah i have been pondering that

3 hours ago, Earl said:

yeah i have been pondering that

Most of the time its just different lens cell designes causing the clear aperture to vary a little from scope to scope. It can be imperial to metric conversion. It can be to optomise the number of blanks you get out of a batch of glass. If a polilshing machine often leaves turned edges you will often make the lens elements slightly larger so that the turned edge can be hidden by the edge of the cell, perhapse more cost effective than buying a better machine and trying to get better polish right to the edge of the lens.

I would not worry over think it.

Adam

Edited by Adam J

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 08/10/2019 at 20:19, FLO said:

This photo is doing the rounds on social media. Apparently it shows two prototype ED doublet refractors, a 62 and 82mm, that will sit somewhere between Sky-Watcher's Evostar ED doublets and Esprit triplets. Currently we don't have specifications, guide prices or an ETA. 

(I would like to credit the photo but have no idea where it originated. If I find out I will edit this post). 

Never a dull moment... 🙂 

Steve 

sky-watcher-evolux-ed-refractrs.jpg.52edb84ca7dfa95c0f4a07e618767fbc.jpg

What ever happened to these FLO?

Adam

2 hours ago, Adam J said:

What ever happened to these FLO?

We don't know. It often takes a long time to bring a new scope to market. I am guessing someone leaked photos of the Evolux long before they were ready. 

Steve

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Hoping that these new 'scopes will be FPL 55 or FCD100 based, if they are not using an FPL 53 element.

Edited by PJW66
Wrong information in original post.
  • Like 1