SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Prototype Sky-Watcher Evolux ED Refractors

FLO

The 82's focuser drawtube seems to be quite large relative to the main tube, probably to illuminate large sensors, which suggests the thing can be fitted with reducers/correctors. Very large focuser lock and dual finder/guidescope holder suggests imaging, too. If Sky-Watcher bothers with a new scope they probably have improved the doublet objective, with aspherical surfaces maybe and/or a better glass formula? The very long dewshield is a good thing, condensation and stray light are such stupid things to have to deal with.

I'm happy with my take-anywhere 80mm semi-apo and my stay-at-home 80mm triplet, so no personal interest in these, but the 62mm is smallish for my taste anyway. I was never satisfied with the brightness and resolution of scopes smaller than 70mm.

On 08/10/2019 at 20:48, Davey-T said:

Where did the fashion for odd size objectives come from 61, 71, 62, 72, 73, 82 etc etc, does it really make any difference to the view ?

Dave

No its just variation dependent on how the objective lens is mounted by the manufacturer.  The lens within the cell is probably of identical size in a 70mm / 71mm etc, all that changes is how they stop the lens down to block lens spacers and similar from entering the light path. Some manufacturers (WO) tend to push it too far and it can result in incomplete star halos due to exposed lens clips. Apart from all that though some manufacturers produce lenses in inches but need to sell them in mm due to EU regulations and so that does not translate to whole numbers.  

My guess is that these will be triplets but not using FPL53 and having improved mechanics. I would be disappointed if its just a doublet with better mechanics. Not that I care I am most likely buying a Esprit 100 this week :)  

Measuring the length / diameter of the tube from the pictures it looks like an F6 design. I would say that is quite fast for a doublet design at 82mm aperture there is a good reason why most go with F7 or higher for a 80mm doublet.

Adam 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Some new information from SW twitter account.

1868843488_EVOLUX62ED.jpg.c1e0a62e67bc9586500a8e2c35979d72.jpg

I think this is looking very promising for the mobile setup I have planned for 2020.

Hope @FLO have some more information on when this is going to be available.

The information shown here implies a F6.4 - F6.5 design with a dedicated 0.9x field flattener to take that down to F5.8, just hope the flattener is a screw fit.

A close look at the focuser also shows it to be a rack and pinion design. Am glad that they lost the mint green on the original image from this thread and went with silver instead.

I was thinking ZS61 but there are a number of things that I like about this design not least the inclusion of the proper dove tail bar and finder mounts.

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, John said:

Do you think that these will replace the Evostar ED DS Pro range in due course ?

Depends on price, I guess. From the looks/ specs there will probably enough of a price gap between these and the "old" EDs that both could co-exist as the Equinox range did?

Edited by GazOC
  • Like 1

On 04/01/2020 at 15:19, Lockie said:

These look lovely, liked more formal less bling WO Zenithstar's. They look to be of a similar spec, so maybe priced similarly, or slightly less if we're lucky. 

I would certainly hope less than for a Zenithstar of the same aperture. I predict 300 - 350 for the 62mm.

Personally I am not interested in the 82mm its a very similar focal length to my Esprit 100 at lower F-ratio.

But the 62 may well make a ideal travel scope for me. If there is a list put me down for one lol. I really do like the look of it even down to the dovetail extending under the focuser (good for mounting a electronic focuser).

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 2

On 03/01/2020 at 21:30, FLO said:

Also found this poster of the new Sky-Watcher Evolux 82ED 🙂 

Sky-Watcher_Evolux_82ED_poster.thumb.jpeg.01aeea6db3655917ce2f405e76393992.jpeg

I have to ask

Praised by who, if no-one knows anything about it?:P

Although, the English is a bit flaky...

but I want one 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Looks an interesting range. So the 'New ED glass' is the infamous, mystery FPL-54/6?... which was a topic of assumption conversation mid last year I wonder.

Unfortunately because Synta no longer reveal what ED glass they use we have no way of knowing, either now or in the future if they later choose to change the glass type. 

Steve 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, paulastro said:

If I look through a refractor and it gives me a view I'm happy with, I don't give a fig what glass it's made of  ☺

I have read very mixed opinions on that since Skywatcher decided not to state what glass types they use. Personally I would like to know this information but I also understand that it is just one factor amongst many that determines how a scope might perform.

It is interesting that Skywatcher heavily promoted that they used an FPL-53 element in the Evostar ED doublets from when they were first released over a decade ago. Not so shy about that back then ? :smiley:

• Like 2

"Not stated" generally means not 53 as, rightly or wrongly, it's big plus point to a lot of potential buyers

It also leaves to door open to buyers who might like to think to that their scope could be made of Schrödinger's Glass whereby as long as they don't know what glass is in it then it COULD be FPL-53 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

John said: 

It is interesting that Skywatcher heavily promoted that they used an FPL-53 element in the Evostar ED doublets from when they were first released over a decade ago. Not so shy about that back then ? :smiley:

I may be mistaken, but at the time the original 'champagne' coloured EDs came out, I don't recall there being many other FPL-53 lensed refractors available if any,?  If this is the case then it was probably a good marketing ploy.  Having said that, the performance at their price point back then was so revolutionary that they didn't need hyping.

There were the Celestron 80 and Orion 80 with FPL53 but basicly the same as the Skywatcher. Same objective was available in the Celestron Onyx in a better OTA. The WO Zenithstar 80FD was also FPL53 and widely regarded as as being a bit better than the Slywatcher..  

21 minutes ago, paulastro said:

John said: 

I may be mistaken, but at the time the original 'champagne' coloured EDs came out, I don't recall there being many other FPL-53 lensed refractors available if any,?  If this is the case then it was probably a good marketing ploy.  Having said that, the performance at their price point back then was so revolutionary that they didn't need hyping.

The earliest Synta / Skywatcher branded ED doublets had blue tubes. They switched to the champagne / cream colour scheme when the ED120 was launched sometime after the 80 and 100.

The specs also claimed that the objectives were hand finished but that is a loose term that could mean a lot of things !

Back then the rivals didn't seem to specify glass types used unless it was fluorite so its not easy to tell what was used in the few non-fluorite ED doublets around back then.

Back to today and the challenge that Skywatcher face is:

- Forums extensively discuss the minute details of specification and rumours (correct or incorrect) travel fast. I believe this does influence customer demand.

- There are many competing brands who do specify the glass types used.

- We are used to increased levels of information regarding products and regard a lack of such detail as suspicious rather than meritorious.

• Like 3