Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Prototype Sky-Watcher Evolux ED Refractors

FLO

This photo is doing the rounds on social media. Apparently it shows two prototype ED doublet refractors, a 62 and 82mm, that will sit somewhere between Sky-Watcher's Evostar ED doublets and Esprit triplets. Currently we don't have specifications, guide prices or an ETA. 

(I would like to credit the photo but have no idea where it originated. If I find out I will edit this post). 

Never a dull moment... 🙂 

Steve 

sky-watcher-evolux-ed-refractrs.jpg.52edb84ca7dfa95c0f4a07e618767fbc.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Where did the fashion for odd size objectives come from 61, 71, 62, 72, 73, 82 etc etc, does it really make any difference to the view ?

Dave

I think its a cheap way to try and sway your buying choice, the aperture is king philosophy whilst a mm or two of glass wont break the bank.

Or could it have something to do with astro photography and a greater choice in optimising FOV and sensor sizes - bear in mind i know nothing of AP but what i have read at times here.

So Mr Skywatcher has presented these new scopes somewhere. Look at the background and you can see a row of chairs. Some sort of sales or marketing event?

But FLO (the UK's largest astro retailer I believe) find out about these scopes from social media, rather than the manufacturer.

My interpretation is that Skywatcher must regard the UK market as unimportant and insignificant.

Someone please prove me wrong.

David.

12 hours ago, FLO said:

This photo is doing the rounds on social media. Apparently it shows two prototype ED doublet refractors, a 62 and 82mm, that will sit somewhere between Sky-Watcher's Evostar ED doublets and Esprit triplets. Currently we don't have specifications, guide prices or an ETA. 

(I would like to credit the photo but have no idea where it originated. If I find out I will edit this post). 

Never a dull moment... 🙂 

Steve 

sky-watcher-evolux-ed-refractrs.jpg.52edb84ca7dfa95c0f4a07e618767fbc.jpg

Steve, have you right clicked on the original photo to explore its properties and origin?

I've tried from my end but nothing comes up. Even opening in a new window the page is blank. Encrypted I suspect.

16 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Equinox replacement I guess? Very smart.

Makes sense given the feedback I've read re: ending the Equinox product line.

Did I read somewhere recently about a lack of availability of FPL-53 glass?...

They would get my vote with a 5" F5-F6 ED doublet, oh yes please 😄

3 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

Did I read somewhere recently about a lack of availability of FPL-53 glass?...

I've read that a few times recently but I still see new designs with relatively large apertures coming on stream that use it so I guess reports of it's passing were exaggerated.

• Like 1

Too bad they're doublets, I mean so many telescopes nowadays are doublets, unless it's a new and improved system of doublets, with good quality optics, and fast f ratio. I don't mind triplets either, but given that the Esprit series don't have any dedicated reducers, they could make some for these. :)

I'd love if these were Petzval quadruplets or something, as more brands are starting to make. :)

Edited by Matzi

On 14/10/2019 at 12:07, FLO said:

😆 Lots of in-depth opinions about the green livery (on a prototype to boot!)

I've got used to it, it reminds me of a country's colour of their national flag.

I don't think colours like silver or gold would have suited them again from past trims and they wanted something different from other manufacturers. 

Certainly something with a bit of a punch!

Just my 2p's worth.

Edited by Skyline
  • Like 1

These look like they'd compete directly with the WO ED doublet range scopes.

I personally like the livery. Some might not think that matters, but if you're paying good money why not have a scope you like the look off as well as the specification off. We pick colours and styles for everything else in life from clothes to cars. More recently for us, a new front door. It took is ages to pick a new door colour and style lol

7 hours ago, Lockie said:

These look like they'd compete directly with the WO ED doublet range scopes.

I personally like the livery. Some might not think that matters, but if you're paying good money why not have a scope you like the look off as well as the specification off. We pick colours and styles for everything else in life from clothes to cars. More recently for us, a new front door. It took is ages to pick a new door colour and style lol

Good things come to people who wait. 

• Like 1