Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DaveS's Obsy Build Thread

DaveS

I guessed I'd done something back to front. Partly the reason was lack of clear space to lay the walls down, but it just seemed more logical (At the time) to lay a foundation plate and build up from there. Well, I don't want to dismantle the whole lot if I can help it, plus the uprights were cut to a length based on screwing them to a sole plate and putting the rail on top. If I build a complete wall that will result in walls higher by the combined thickness of the top and bottom rails.

Let me think about this overnight and possibly tomorrow, as the weather is going to be rubbish

I don't use nails if I can help it, anyone who's seen me trying to hammer nails in will know why, Cross dominance plus, I suspect, a degree of dyspraxia sees to that. I tend to hammer nails in sideways :( 

Edit: Swear filter changed the (Very mild) slang expression I'd used

Edited by DaveS

I built a side at a time and then fixed them to each other Dave, but judging by the DIY threads there are plenty of people who have done it the way you're doing it as well so I don't think it's a big deal.

James

• Thanks 1

You are building your obsy using all the right techniques but not necessarily in the right order....

(Sorry, couldn't resist a Morcambe and Wise reference).

Nothing wrong with what you are doing. Building the walls in place works as well as pre assembly. Your available space dictates what is best for you. I would leave the bracket in place until you are ready to install the door frame then, remove bracket, install frame which you fix to the base and the upright and the door frame becomes the bracket.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback.

I've been giving it some thought and have decided to make a few changes to my plan (Which my ad hock building allows).

Firstly, on taking the advice offered, I think I will leave out the brackets on the intermediate uprights, at least for now, screwing them directly to the sole plate and bracing with noggins. This I can do now-ish. Also I will replace the already cut uprights on the north side with the higher ones I really need for the north wall, which is higher than the others as it has the door in one corner. This will enable me to remove the angle brackets and use the doorframe for bracing.

I'm off to the garage to slap some end-grain wax on the uprights i've already cut and measure up for some additional lengths of timber.

• Like 1

I built my walls in the same way although my posts were concreted in first with a concrete footing between each and about 6inches high.
Sole plate between each post and a top plate all round then added studs.

Edited by wxsatuser
typo

After actually *looking* at the 1:10 scale drawing I made while I was planning the obsy (dur...) I went out during a brief fine spell and swapped uprights on the north side and added the door frame. Still needs a lot of work, perhaps tomorrow as the rest of today looks horrid.

I am actually finding the angle brackets very useful for holding the uprights in position, as being on my own it's very easy to get things out of alignment, especially for me, as I can make a complete pig's ear out of *anything* :( .

• Like 1

On 24/02/2020 at 14:43, DaveS said:

I guessed I'd done something back to front. Partly the reason was lack of clear space to lay the walls down, but it just seemed more logical (At the time) to lay a foundation plate and build up from there. Well, I don't want to dismantle the whole lot if I can help it, plus the uprights were cut to a length based on screwing them to a sole plate and putting the rail on top. If I build a complete wall that will result in walls higher by the combined thickness of the top and bottom rails.

Let me think about this overnight and possibly tomorrow, as the weather is going to be rubbish

I don't use nails if I can help it, anyone who's seen me trying to hammer nails in will know why, Cross dominance plus, I suspect, a degree of dyspraxia sees to that. I tend to hammer nails in sideways :( 

Edit: Swear filter changed the (Very mild) slang expression I'd used

Don't let my input discourage you Dave. It is perfectly ok to build from the ground up as you are doing, especially if doing all the framing work yourself. Don't even think about dismantling anything. You already have your base plates in place, which will act as the base of your walls, and have designed it to be that way. Keep up the good work!
The system of building an entire wall and then raising it stems from home building, where walls can be quite tall and difficult to work building up, and also to help keep width and height tolerances equal between the walls, and in that method, the base is an integral part of each wall.
BTW: I also use screws religiously when I build. I seem to be a loner on that, as professional builders always use nail,  specifically these days,  nail guns.

Edited by RAR_MI_USA
  • Thanks 1

OK, time for another update, I've been off the forum all day working on the obsy.

I now have the North wall in place, having had to go back and forth sorting out some out-of-square elements. I also have the roof bearers on, but only screwed down at the north end, to leave a little "give" to allow for squaring up.

IMG_20200226_154302.thumb.jpg.96e5276c38401a780e0fbf7d51061100.jpg

If some of the noggins (Why do I keep thinking of a cartoon viking lol) look out of square, it's because they are! Nevermind, I think I can live with that.

The next jobs are the East and West walls, keeping the south (Facing the camera) open for getting stuff in, but will take more care over making sure everything is square. I'll be ordering *more* timber as I ran myself out due to some wastage during cutting. A lot of this has been a learning curve!

Also need to order a winch for mounting the heavy stuff.

Heigh-ho!

Edited by DaveS
Added photo and text.
  • Like 5

I doubt anything about my observatory is square!!  Don't worry about it as long as it works!  😁  The east fold down window is square (rectangular) as it's made from a twin-wall transparent roof panel but the woodwork generally isn't.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaveS said:

OK, time for another update, I've been off the forum all day working on the obsy.

I now have the North wall in place, having had to go back and forth sorting out some out-of-square elements. I also have the roof bearers on, but only screwed down at the north end, to leave a little "give" to allow for squaring up.

IMG_20200226_154302.thumb.jpg.96e5276c38401a780e0fbf7d51061100.jpg

If some of the noggins (Why do I keep thinking of a cartoon viking lol) look out of square, it's because they are! Nevermind, I think I can live with that.

The next jobs are the East and West walls, keeping the south (Facing the camera) open for getting stuff in, but will take more care over making sure everything is square. I'll be ordering *more* timber as I ran myself out due to some wastage during cutting. A lot of this has been a learning curve!

Also need to order a winch for mounting the heavy stuff.

Heigh-ho!

Hey Dave - What's that blue stuff at the top of your picture?

I need to sort out my roof automation but each time work allows it's either still raining or there is black where the blue should be...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks!

Another update. Put the West framing in place. I wasn't going to do this yet, but for reasons I'm still trying to understand, the uprights that I cut (All near as dammit the same length) are too short for the East wall. The bearers are level N/S, and, as far as I can tell, E/W. They fit for the west wall, and for the south wall. I'll be ordering some more wood soon. so will order some for replacement

Lots of elements that are out of square, but hopefully won't affect the final outcome.

IMG_20200227_143606.thumb.jpg.f681ff535238ff3857f0239f1bb4b4da.jpg

Now trying to decide what I can be getting on with, possibly laying the first lengths of track. I also want to get an idea of the final roof height. But first, give my back a rest.

Edited by DaveS
Added photo and text.
  • Like 4

Thanks Gina. Ordered a heap more stuff, replacement timber, postcrete, posts etc, plus a plumb-bob. Delivery scheduled for monday, but that's OK, the weather will be dire until then, maybe after. I may be able to do some work in the garage, which will at least be dry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carastro said:

How big will it be Dave. it's difficult to get any perspective on it?

Carole 

It's specced at 2.2m square though the platform is a little bigger. The walls are 1.59m high. The rails inplace are 3.6m, so I will be adding another 2.4m to give enough room for the roll off. the platform is nominally 0.5m high, but the ground slopes, so 0.4m at the lowest, running to 0.6m at the deepest corner, in the north-west corner. The door is 1.8m headroom.

• Like 2

Yep, can't see any progress until Monday. Need to drill a drainage hole through the platform as it's tending to become a pond in this weather. I can use the hole later for the drain of a dehumidifier.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Big tarpaulins are really cheap Dave, if you get a couple of lengths of tile battens you can chuck it over and screw though the battens to secure it.

Dave

I had to do that with my build.  I bought two in fact - the first wasn't big enough.  Tied mine on with rope and used lengths of timber to support it/them.  Yes, they were cheap and didn't last long but long enough to do the job.  I spent many days (weeks, months) under tarpaulin building my observatory.  You can't rely on good weather in this country!!  ('Tis true 🤣)

• Like 3