Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DaveS's Obsy Build Thread

DaveS

Tick....tick....tick......

Time to start the build thread. The foundation platform is scheduled for construction on the 6th Nov, after I come back from Lucksall so starting this now. The big tree (Identified as a Dawn Redwood, Metasequoia glyptostroboides) is coming down at the same time, it's far too big for a small-ish garden. OK in a 5-10 acre plot but not here.

The platform is specced to be 2.2 m square, 0.5 m high (This is pretty much set in stone), stone facings over concrete infill (For appearance). On top of this is a box 2.2 m square (ie right to the edges) with walls 1.6 m high in total, made up of 1.5 m high 45 x 95 mm studs resting on a 45 x 120 mm flat base to allow for level anchoring onto the stone edging of the platform, and to be a template for the construction, and 45 x 95 mm long runners in 2 x 3m lengths to carry the rails (From F W Brundle, like everyone else) and form the top of a pergola. Stud walls with noggins as needed, also of 45 x 95 mm. The studs will initially be anchored to the bottom base with galvanised steel "L" brackets, with additional screws.

The roof will run off to the south, where there is an annoying tree but will allow the obsy to sit against the boundary without destroying too much of the garden. I'm planning on sloping the roof from west to east to allow a door in the west side of the north wall, and for the default park position of 'scope west side, pointing to the zenith. The overall height will have to be under 2.5 m for permitted development.

The walls will be clad in T&G.

A lot I will wing as I go, esp the roof which I may have to make up as I go along to stay within limits. Thoughts on covering? EDPM, or something else eg plastic tiles?

Any thoughts or comments will be welcome, especially as regards to the timber dimensions before I click the "buy" button on my Wickes basket.

To be continued......

• Like 3

The only problem with getting timber delivered, if that's the plan, is that much of it is only suitable for boat building.

Usually have to sort through the stuff in store ( all stores not just Wickes ) to find the straight bits.

Guess you can't get it in the Honda, has it got a sunroof 😂

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks. No I haven't as yet. I do have a jigsaw but think it might not be up to the job. I have been looking on that long river place to see what's available for a sensible budget.

8 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Thanks. No I haven't as yet. I do have a jigsaw but think it might not be up to the job. I have been looking on that long river place to see what's available for a sensible budget.

Need at least a 10" compound ie tilt sideways and sliding to get the depth remembering that mitres are a longer cut.

Dave

17 hours ago, DaveS said:

Alas no sunroof (What is thing "sun"?) so will have to be delivered.

45 x 95 mm timber

45 x 120 mm timber

Thinking of Roof Shingles rather than fighting EDPM sheet.

Roof shingles certainly look nice, but I found no problem with an EDPM roof for my warm room. Installation was easy after watching the required youtube videos, and fast. One of the quicker and easier jobs for me in my build.

• Thanks 1

Don't think my saw cost that much but OTOH it was some years ago!  I found EDPM easy and quick on both ROR and warm room roof.  I did it on my own too.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I'll put EDPM back on the list of possibles, but it'll be a while before I get to that point.

Any comments on the timber? Should I go bigger? I'm planning on supporting the rails on 100 mm square fence posts, probably on concrete foundations, the chop saw linked to will cut up to 105 mm, so enabling the posts to be cut to length.

I'm also planning to get the pier and maybe the mount and 'scope installed under a Telegizmos cover while the obsy is building.

OK, ordered the mitre saw and additional blade from that long river place, and a set of 12mm Rawlplug shield anchors for the pier, together with the 20mm :eek: SDS+ drill bit.

Now waiting to place the order for the timber and sundries.

If nobody has any further thoughts on the sizes......?

Ooohhh pricey!!  The timber sizes are fine though mostly bigger than mine.  I got my timber from a timber merchant just outside Hemyock in Devon.  I had already tried Wickes, B&Q etc and the timber yard was about half the cost for better quality timber.  You beat me to it in ordering - I didn't think you would proceed so rapidly.  Sorry about that.  I bought pre-treated timber (tanalised I think they call it).  I did give all the timber more treatment after cutting as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

Since nobody has come back to say anything against the timber sizes etc, I've put in my first order from Wickes. There will be more 😃.

I was expecting one of those pretty CAD drawings Dave with all the sizes on :D

Dave

• Haha 1

Ah well, there will be more orders, so I expect I will be using a timber yard. Still got to plan / do the roof. This will give me time to make the square template, then re-make it after mucking up, before the builders come to construct the platform. I've also got some wood preserver on the same order so will give the cut ends a good going over.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I was expecting one of those pretty CAD drawings Dave with all the sizes on :D

Dave

I have Sketchup on the computer so might as well get to grips with it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

You can buy proper end grain sealer.

Dave

Thanks, just had a look on Amazon, didn't realise there was something made for the job. Just got some Creocote, which I may use for general coating. No hurry, as it'll be a few days before I can even start on the base square.

The first delivery of wood has arrived and is safely stored in the garage (What else is a garage for :grin:)

IMG_20191011_113515.thumb.jpg.375c2ca05f0c5bc3e2395980a28097e8.jpg

The white pyramid thing is the pier.

There will be plenty more deliveries.

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Set up the mitre saw on the bench with a free standing support.IMG_20191023_160854.thumb.jpg.1f54a998a1ec9625c9fafad1c8e641ac.jpg

I'm not about to cut the long piece, just set it up as a trial. More photos.

IMG_20191023_160912.thumb.jpg.c9b87f5dbd59f344332a4cba033123e3.jpg

IMG_20191023_161014.thumb.jpg.07e5c00c3475aaaa475c78ba0277211e.jpg

OK, anything not-obvious that I've missed? I removed the tin of varnish and the jar of white spirit.

I think the dust bag won't be up to the job, so any recommendations for a cheapo vac (Read sacrificial) for dust extraction?

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 2

Good that you picked up C24 graded timber, much stronger and less chance of it being/going wonky, although Wickes have sold me all sorts of curly wood over the years, they are happy to take it back if it is shoddy.

I bought some end grain treatment at Toolstation for a few quid.