Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

johninderby

COMPLETED - SOLD - Sky-Watcher Skymax 180 PRO

Sky-Watcher Skymax 180 PRO

In very fine condition with perfect optics. 

S O L D

2” dielectric diagonal, Baader visual back, motorised focuser, second finder shoe and Astrozap dew shield.The motor focus can easily be removed and the rubber focus knob cover pushed back on. 

• Perfect for lunar, planetary 
  • Highest Practical Power (Potential): x540
  • Diameter of Primary Mirror: 180mm
  • Telescope Focal Length: 2700mm (f/
  • Vixen type dovetail bar

Payment: PayPal (buyer pays fees) or Bank Transfer

John

961A92BE-CC5F-475C-A0B3-12691173FA82.jpeg

23D5EC13-7DB4-47D1-B47C-9DD00C637679.jpeg

C2C16918-B205-4EA7-89C6-22DD5CD85EDA.jpeg

F44CBE9C-6D00-4D4F-975A-7203E9E1F8FE.jpeg

83A8A193-C032-4A94-94F7-9492651D75AB.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

Have this set of tube rings and Losmandy dovetail for the Skymax 180. If not sold with the OTA will sell them later on their own.

Rings now sold

The Skymax 180 is an odd tube diameter and tube rings are very hard to find. Orion Optics UK makes tube rings to order in the right size and also the radius blocks but they aren’t cheap. The carry handle can be mounted In two different positions to suit EQ or Alt-Az mounts.

Skymax 180 Rings & Handle

• 216mm Rolled tube rings - £66.00
  • Radius blocks - £42.00
  • Carry handle - £20.00
  • Altair Losmandy dovetail plate - £62.50

• TOTAL COST - £190.50

Selling - £100.00 (if posted add £10.00)

1A5E40DE-1920-4DFA-9148-39D15001F8C0.jpeg

6316D667-6E10-4F6F-9BF6-A125A2418756.jpeg

BBC2A4DB-C4DA-41D0-9424-8EA7E6CCC8C8.jpeg

E66363CB-0017-4A1C-AEA3-98C7555F5632.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

Been waiting for one a while.... 

Will this one mount on an EQ5 without the rings and handle?

Its probably at the max or just over for visual use  without the extras.

Not to far away either.

Cheers

Bigwings

Hi

Yes it is fitted with a standard Vixen type dovetail so fits the EQ5 just fine. Being a fairly short OTA helps when mounting it on an EQ5 as you can get away with a heavier OTA unlike with a long refractor. The motor focus will help as you won’t actually have to touch the scope while focusing.

John

40793ABC-2939-4DB6-90D4-2E566FEE8B7B.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

Would the dovetail bar on my 180 need to be removed if I wanted to fit your tube rings?  Looks like it does and I'm not sure I want to mess around taking it apart.

Edited by scitmon

Yes the stock dovetail needs removing but there is nothing to it. Literally a two minute job as all that needs doing is removing four screws around the front end, lifting off the front ring with the meniscus lens and undoing the two screws on the dovetail. The meniscus lens is never touched and you can’t get anything out of adjustment as the ring isn’t adjustable. Just put a bit of masking tape on the ring and tube to make sure you don’t rotate the ring when putting it back on.

Edited by johninderby

Can I please ask how essential a motor focus is on a telescope like this?

Thanks (if you can spare the time),

Mark

1 minute ago, markastro said:

Can I please ask how essential a motor focus is on a telescope like this?

Thanks (if you can spare the time),

Mark

Not essential but useful if putting on a lighter mount as you don’t have to touch the scope to focus. And of course you could connect it to a PC with a USB motor control for remote focusing.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I wonder if it would hold well on an AZ4. It's a really nice strong tripod but I only have the central  (main) holding screw for the Vixen plate because the threads for the security screw are worn.

Appreciate it,

Mark

Edited by markastro

32 minutes ago, markastro said:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I wonder if it would hold well on an AZ4. It's a really nice strong tripod but I only have the central  (main) holding screw for the Vixen plate because the threads for the security screw are worn.

Appreciate it,

Mark

I have known of people putting a Skymaz180 on an AZ4 with the steel tripod and it held up, just. The Skymax is really a couple of kg too heavy for that mount. OK as a temporary mount but would be much happier on a Skytee II.

With the motorised focuser meaning not having to touch the scope while focusing it would at least make it possible even if not recommended.

Edited by johninderby

23 hours ago, johninderby said:

Yes the stock dovetail needs removing but there is nothing to it. Literally a two minute job as all that needs doing is removing four screws around the front end, lifting off the front ring with the meniscus lens and undoing the two screws on the dovetail. The meniscus lens is never touched and you can’t get anything out of adjustment as the ring isn’t adjustable. Just put a bit of masking tape on the ring and tube to make sure you don’t rotate the ring when putting it back on.

I'll second that, very easy to do, and minimal chance of disturbing anything, unlike the corrector plate on an SCT.

John's rings are a huge improvement on the standard Skymax dovetail mounting IMHO.

I did the same thing with mine, and the mounting is much more secure than standard, (which had just two 4mm bolts with tiny washers holding the dovetail).

The ring size is indeed difficult, between standard sizes.  I found a pair of Helios for mine and modified them slightly.

I also put a sturdy handle on top of mine too like John, making it much easier and safer to carry and mount.

An amazing telescope, great for Planets with almost 500x max magnification.

skymax180 rings.jpg

1 hour ago, markastro said:

Appreciate it,

Mark

Hi Mark.

I have mounted mine on an AZ4. Its at the mount's limit, but it's fine as long as you make sure it's mounted properly and happy with a little bounce  of the object for a couple of seconds,

till it settles in view.

4 minutes ago, Stardust said:

I could be interested  in the rings

Will let you know of they aren’t sold with the scope.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tony4563 said:

Hi Mark.

I have mounted mine on an AZ4. Its at the mount's limit, but it's fine as long as you make sure it's mounted properly and happy with a little bounce  of the object for a couple of seconds,

till it settles in view.

Thanks Tony,

I currently use it with the 127 MAK and the lack of the 2nd security holding screw doesn't matter as the scope is only 3.5 kg. Do you think the 180 might slip a bit without the 2nd screw?

I'd also like to mention that it's the aluminium AZ4 I have and not steel.

Cheers,

Mark

Sale Pending

🙂

Cash on collection on Monday..

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Swift delivery of the rings, super well packed, thanks John

Glad they got there OK but DPD usually does a good job. 👍🏻

On 08/10/2019 at 18:03, markastro said:

Thanks Tony,

I currently use it with the 127 MAK and the lack of the 2nd security holding screw doesn't matter as the scope is only 3.5 kg. Do you think the 180 might slip a bit without the 2nd screw?

I'd also like to mention that it's the aluminium AZ4 I have and not steel.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark.

Although not long in length the 180m Mak is quite heavy. The single screw of the AZ4 suffices, but I always check and check again that the dovetail has engaged correctly!

I have the steel tripod so unsure about how wobbly the aluminium one would be. 

One advantage of the scope is that it is relatively compact  in size, meaning the legs of the tripod dont need to be extended fully, which may make it more stable in use.

19 hours ago, tony4563 said:

Hi Mark.

Although not long in length the 180m Mak is quite heavy. The single screw of the AZ4 suffices, but I always check and check again that the dovetail has engaged correctly!

I have the steel tripod so unsure about how wobbly the aluminium one would be. 

One advantage of the scope is that it is relatively compact  in size, meaning the legs of the tripod dont need to be extended fully, which may make it more stable in use.

Thanks Tony,

I appreciate the feedback. I think the dovetail is a weak design generally speaking but it works ok most of the time with smaller scopes. The aluminium AZ4 tripod looks and feels very strong but I guess the steel is going to be ultra wind resistant etc. It's always the weight against performance issue for all astronomical instruments!

Clear skies mate,

Mark