Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WANTING TO MEET SOME OF THE SAME ILK

Hi am from an area where astronomy is understood to astrology so understand my predicament !!! Would like to connect with a community who i can share my passion for astronomy and evolve with this. I've been fascinated as a youth, had a few cheap Sears type and was never able to see objects quite clear, some definable but for most blurry. Now all grown up and mature, depend's on whom you ask, provided myself with a 10 inch dob.  I'm having issues with my  finder scope as i feel i cannot focus this on the objects i'm looking at. My model is an ORION 10019 XT10 inteli and it came with their generic finder scope. Unfortunately i cant focus it and that is a deal breaker for me. Would some of you has be so kind to offer suggestions/opinions on a finder scope suitable for my needs ?? Take in mind that the 45 degrees eyepiece on this finder scope, i do like, feels its ergonomic for me. 

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forum.. Haven’t been to New Brunswick in many years.

Yes there are people who are clueless and don’t realise astronomy is science and fact and astrology is nonsense and their predictions perform no better than pure chance. 

But to get back to the subject of a decent finder this one is the most popular for a dob and can be focused by turning the front end. You may be able to find the Skywatcher version cheaper. Most dobs come with a straight through finder and soon get replaced. Antares make a good 7x50 right angle finder as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Orion-07212-Right-Angle-Correct-Image-Finder/dp/B0000XMVE0/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?keywords=Skywatcher+9x50+finder+scope&qid=1570416053&sr=8-2-fkmr1

Edited by johninderby

Best thing to do is focus the finderscope in the daytime on a distant obtect as far as you possibly can see with it. As John says you do this by turning the front lens section clockwise or anticlockwise until it comes into focus as sharp as possible. It my have a locking ring behind the main lens group that needs to be backed off a little from this front end to allow you to focus it, and then once focused you screw the locking ring tight up against the front lens section again to stop it going out of focus again.

Video shows Skywatcher finderscope, but same principle to most finderscopes.

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 3

Welcome to forum, @DENISANNA:hello:

I think you'll find SGL a good place, full of friendly, knowledgeable and generally decent folk from all over the world who also share a joy for astronomy and science. Good luck with the finder scope but I'm sure following the link from @Knighty2112all will be right . If not, just let us know :thumbright:

Look forward to meeting you on the boards :).

Hi and welcome to the forum :smiley:

The focus on a finder is usually adjusted as per the movie that Knighty2112 has posted.

The standard 50mm finder on the Orion XT10 is a stright through unit I think - the 45 degree prism / eyepiece is likely to be a later addition. If the 45 prism / eyepiece has been added to a stock straight through finder then that might be a reason why the finder will not come to focus.

Hi and welcome from France.

As @Knighty2112  states in his response once done job done. This site is heaven for a wealth of information ask the daftest of question and you will get a response even though the answer was probably staring you in the face but could not see it. Been there and got the teeshirt.😀

Andy