Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sh2-126 HaRgb

Allinthehead

This is a part of Sh2-126 a very feint star forming region in Lacerta. Estimated to be 1200 ly from earth. The source of it's ionisation is the intense ultraviolet radiation of the star 10 Lacertae, a blue main sequence star.

The rgb for this was captured over 3 nights and from two locations. I spent a lovely few days in a dark sky reserve in the west of Ireland. Unfortunately the weather didn't play ball but i did manage 2 hours of data while there. The remaining 5hrs was captured at home.

7hrs in 150 second subs at gain 50 and -5C with the Asi 071 through my Esprit 100

10hrs of Ha with the Asi 1600 gain 139 at -20C through a Samyang 135 using an Astrodon 5nm Ha filter.

Mounted on an Az Eq6

Captured with Sgpro and processed in Pixinsight, APP and PS. Stacked in APP.

Hope you like it.

Richard.

New version without the pink in the lizard.

236191102_lacertafinal.thumb.png.d17b1d719aecedbfb5743a43597e2059.png

Original

1796928187_lacertafinal2copy4.thumb.jpg.42b91a6a7ff61007b2b586618655a4b7.jpg

Edited by Allinthehead
  • Like 32

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

You have quite the talent for drawing out the faint smokey details.  The esprit is performing well!  Do you miss the Epsilon?

Appreciate that, thanks Adam. Do i miss the the Epsilon? Well yes and no, with a permanent setup i will buy one again. The collimation is straight forward but i found i needed to adjust very frequently because i had to move it around alot( i image using a pier and the scope comes in when not in use). I miss the speed yes but i don't miss the spikes. Hopefully the Esprit proves to be a nice compromise. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Very nice Richard, looks like it should have a funky common name, looks snakey.

Dave

PS: See I'm keeping up now :thumbsup:

Thanks Dave. I've seen some refer to it as the Gecko Nebula, very American. Certainly has a snakey/lizardy look about it.

6 hours ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Brilliant images, absolutely love the subtle processing

Thanks. I was trying to be gentle with the data. 

Some excellent images you showed us, Richard! I love both this one and the Witch head!

I'm never able to get results so good in such short integrations, despite traveling to dark sites for some targets.

21 hours ago, alexbb said:

Some excellent images you showed us, Richard! I love both this one and the Witch head!

I'm never able to get results so good in such short integrations, despite traveling to dark sites for some targets.

Thanks Alex. This image has 10 hrs of Ha at f/2 and the Witchhead is at f/3.3 so not really that short.

10 hours ago, astro mick said:

Very nice indeed Richard.Thats quite a capture from a constellation that does,nt get a lot of attention.

Mick.

Thanks Mick. I'm not sure there's much more to image in this area 

When adding the Ha to the rgb you sometimes get a pinkish cast in areas where there is Ha but also reflection nebula something i've done before with the Horsehead Nebula in the flame area. A simple fix using an eraser on the area affected with the rgb as a layer underneath.

127574615_lacertafinal.thumb.png.ff8bddef6f21e6975f79efe007e8cf75.png

• Like 4

It's a great image - I actually prefer it with the slight pink cast in the ref neb - it's a real thing (as much as mixing in HA with RGB is in anyway "real") so have no issues with a slight cast!

Great stuff!

15 hours ago, coatesg said:

It's a great image - I actually prefer it with the slight pink cast in the ref neb - it's a real thing (as much as mixing in HA with RGB is in anyway "real") so have no issues with a slight cast!

Great stuff!

Thanks Graham. I know what you mean. I like to use the ha as background to the reflection so i prefer if it doesn't intrude.

5 hours ago, carastro said:

Excellent result.  I must try this some time.

Carole 

Thanks Carole. Ha is quite feint, i got 10 hrs and needed it.

4 hours ago, alan potts said:

Beautiful shot there, not one I have seen done before, must find these on my C-du-C so I can at least have try sometime

Alan

Thanks Alan. I assume you know about Dso Browser? 

https://telescopius.com/telescope-simulator