Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

lunt 60 with powermate

Hi there,

Can someone tell me if it is possible to use a powermate combined with a lunt 60?

Thankxxx

And in the meantime… how can i let you know what i have voor scope etc? I believe its simple but i am sure i missed something about that

thanxx

Edited by Marcel

You can if you insert the Powermate in the eyepiece end of the diagonal. An extender will probably be needed too to achieve focus. I did try it with my Lunt 60 but it gave bad Newton's Rings when used and gave no extra detail with my ASI178MM camera as the camera image scale at 0.99"/pixel is well matched to the scopes Dawes resolution limit of 1.93" without the Powermate.

Alan

Edited by symmetal

2 minutes ago, symmetal said:

You can if you insert the Powermate in the eyepiece end of the diagonal. An extender will probably be needed too to achieve focus. I did try it with my Lunt 60 but it gave bad Newton's Rings when used and gave no extra detail with my ASI178MM camera as the camera image scale at 0.99"/pixel is well matched to the limit of the scopes Dawes resolution of 1.93" without the Powermate.

Alan

Hi Alan, i can see ehat you have for equipment, how did you do that? Ans thanxx for your reply

Marcel

7 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Hi Alan, i can see ehat you have for equipment, how did you do that? Ans thanxx for your reply

Marcel

You'll need the 1.25" Powermate to fit in the eyepiece end of the blocking filter diagonal. I believe I needed a 1.25" extender (barlow with lens removed) too to achieve focus. If you only have the 2" Powermates they would have to fit before the diagonal which I wouldn't recommend as the extra heat generated before the blocking filter could damage them.

Alan

Hoi Marcel,

No problem using a PowerMate with Lunt, I do that all the time. How is kind of depending on the backfilter you use.
I got the BF3400, which is a 2" type and I use 2x or 4 x PowerMate (2")with my Lunt set, but as already mentioned by Alan, use them after your blocking filter to prevent excessive heat in the PowerMate.

Edited by Waldemar

2 hours ago, Waldemar said:

Hoi Marcel,

No problem using a PowerMate with Lunt, I do that all the time. How is kind of depending on the backfilter you use.
I got the BF3400, which is a 2" type and I use 2x or 4 x PowerMate (2")with my Lunt set, but as already mentioned by Alan, use them after your blocking filter to prevent excessive heat in the PowerMate.

Hoi hoi,

thanxx for your reply. I use the lunt 60 Tsh 1200. Can you tell me how you can place your equipment in your memberarea? 

Marcel

2 hours ago, symmetal said:

You'll need the 1.25" Powermate to fit in the eyepiece end of the blocking filter diagonal. I believe I needed a 1.25" extender (barlow with lens removed) too to achieve focus. If you only have the 2" Powermates they would have to fit before the diagonal which I wouldn't recommend as the extra heat generated before the blocking filter could damage them.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanxx

21 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Can you tell me how you can place your equipment in your memberarea? 

Hi Marcel,

Click on your user name at the top right of the screen where you login, then select 'Account Settings'. Select 'Signature' from the list on the left and then put the information you want to appear at the end of your posts in the Signature editable window. :smile:

I believe your initial reply to me asked that question, but I misread as to what you were referring to. :o

Alan

20 hours ago, symmetal said:

Hi Marcel,

Click on your user name at the top right of the screen where you login, then select 'Account Settings'. Select 'Signature' from the list on the left and then put the information you want to appear at the end of your posts in the Signature editable window. :smile:

I believe your initial reply to me asked that question, but I misread as to what you were referring to. :o

Alan

Thanx Alan!

Not the same set-up, but I regularly use the x2.5 Powermate with T thread adaptor (or the Baader Hyperion x2.25 Barlow) in my SM60 DS/ ED80 with a ASI 174 or ASI 1600 camera.

I do find that a T2 tilter is almost mandatory to suppress Newton Rings.

Yes, it does depend on the camera pixel size as to whether the Powermate or Barlow with the 60mm Lunt will give extra detail. The ASI174 as used by Merlin66 with its large pixels certainly would and the ASI1600 and ASI120 with more 'medium' size pixels would also gain some.

1 hour ago, Merlin66 said:

I do find that a T2 tilter is almost mandatory to suppress Newton Rings.

'Glad' someone else also had them. Thought I was the only one, when using a Powermate. :D

Alan

My rule of thumb, when imaging in average conditions.....

The acquisition focal ratio should be around x5 the pixel size in micron...

This would mean 5 x 5.86 = f29 for the ASI 174, and f20 for the ASI 1600.

I use an ED80 (fr=7.5) so a x3 Barlow would be good. Hence my x2.5 PM with the ASI 1600. I've only recently acquired a x3 Meade (and ES) tele-extender. I'll be trialling them when the weather improves.

I did this with a 60 and a x2.5 powermate .

It has been a journey as up till this image I have been plagued with NR's when using the powermate, I hope that I have the tilter set up now.

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 07/10/2019 at 22:59, Nigella Bryant said:

I use an ordinary 3x Barlow in the eyepiece end of the blocking filter and works well with my zwo asi120mm. Image attached of results. 

PSX_20190713_133958.jpg

PSX_20190713_132929.jpg

Very nice!

On 08/10/2019 at 09:27, Waldemar said:

Single shot through TMB 92SS with DS Lunt 75mm, BF3400, 2 x PowerMate, ASI 174MM

zon prominenties.jpg

nice! I consider a powermate but can it work for me? I own a lunt60. Can you help me out? Thanxx

PowerMates will absolutely work for you...
I don't know where you live in Holland, Marcel, but maybe you can come over and try...

I live in the south not too far from Heusden
If interested you can pm me

Edited by Waldemar