Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Hello, I've recently taken some videos of Saturn and I'm now about to process them. However, within the few minutes I was observing Saturn it has rotated a fair bit. Now when I go to stack the frames, things don't line up because of the rotation. Is there any program that can possibly undo this rotation? 

I'm using PIPP, VirtualDub, RegiStax and GIMP. PIPP to centre the image, VirtualDub to combine the videos and remove bad frames, Registax to stack and do the wavelets, then GIMP to do the finishing touches. 

I bet there is a button or setting somewhere in one of them that will do exactly what I want. 

Thanks in advance!

If you try stacking in Autostakkert rather than registax it should be able to decorate the frames. I wouldn't bother with pipp or virtual dub really, just try them in Autostakkert

Oh, thank you for that, @CraigT82. What else can AutoStakkert do? What's the advantages of it over using my current methods?

Thanks!

If you have several videos of saturn, you can stack each one in AS and then stack the resulting single tiffs together in AS too. It generally gives better stacking results than registax. Hou cent sharpen in AS though so Registax is still the go-to wavelets sharpening program for me.

Oooh, I will definitely look into AutoStakkert! Thank you very much, Craig!

Thanks!