Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

MacOS Catalina

wornish

The imminent release of the latest MacOS to 10.15 has some significant changes.

32 bit apps will no longer be supported so be careful before taking the plunge.

I am guessing that PS. PI and APP will all need to be updated as well so patience will be needed.

Thanks for that info, Wornish. I'm still on Sierra or High Sierra.  I think I have to go up to Mohave first. 

I liked the idea of Catalina because apparently it's got an app like Team Viewer but you don't need Internet access. Mind you  I bet my old iPad couldn't make use of it, you know what Apple are like. They upgrade software so you have to buy new hardware. 

Enable ScreenSharing via System Preferences > Sharing. Use any VNC client on iPad. All Macs have had this builtin for 15+ years... no Internet Access required, just a local network.

7 minutes ago, Marci said:

Enable ScreenSharing via System Preferences > Sharing. Use any VNC client on iPad. All Macs have had this builtin for 15+ years... no Internet Access required, just a local network.

By that do you mean via my wireless router? I don't have reliable contact with that 30m down the garden where I set up. 

I’m presuming you’re talking Sidecar, which lets you use a modern generation iPad as an extension screen - massively different to TeamViewer / VNC remote control... Install Duet on the Mac from AppStore, and Duet on the iPad for the pre-Catalina equivalent - s’been around since iPad 4 days. Catalina has it builtin and not requiring a separate app is all...

However, you can set any Mac to create it’s own Adhoc WiFi network, and connect direct to it from iPad using ScreenSharing and VNC Client - no need for any WiFi router involvement. Click WiFi icon on Mac, and instead of joining a network, select "Create Network"... follow the process, then connect to that new network from iPad. Enable screen sharing on the Mac, install Mocha VNC on the iPad.

Edited by Marci

Adobe - If you have Photoshop CC 2018 (19.x) & earlier, Lightroom (1.x) or Lightroom Classic (2015.x) & earlier, stick with Mojave tops. Don’t upgrade to Catalina. These versions will never be patched to work with Catalina - Adobe REQUIRE you to have a valid subscription to more recent versions, all of which work fine with Catalina. An upgrade to Catalina may work for some CS6 onwards app (where the apps are already installed and functioning on an earlier version of MacOS), but you’ll be unable to clean-install these apps on a fresh install of Catalina as the installers are 32bit even tho the apps are 64bit. There are known glitches in CC versions prior to 20.x as it stands in Catalina betas that won’t be fixed (and Adobe have revoked all licenses for legit use of anything prior to these anyway cos they were naughty and illegally embedded Dolby technology without paying for it). See https://blog.conradchavez.com/2019/08/28/macos-10-15-catalina-will-adobe-software-work/. Anything CC2019 (20.x) onwards - ie: current versions available to CC subscribers - will work fine.

PixInsight - "The current versions 1.8.x of PixInsight are only available as 64-bit applications for all supported operating systems. Please note that no 32-bit versions will be released anymore. Note also that any existing 32-bit version will no longer be supported or updated." - should be nothing to worry about here if using 1.8.x or above.

APP - "APP runs on Linux (RPM & DEB), Windows & MacOS 64bits Operating Systems." implies it should be 64bit ready, but the APP chaps don’t go into much detail on sys requirements on their site unfortunately.

Edited by Marci
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marci said:

I’m presuming you’re talking Sidecar, which lets you use a modern generation iPad as an extension screen - massively different to TeamViewer / VNC remote control... Install Duet on the Mac from AppStore, and Duet on the iPad for the pre-Catalina equivalent - s’been around since iPad 4 days. Catalina has it builtin and not requiring a separate app is all...

However, you can set any Mac to create it’s own Adhoc WiFi network, and connect direct to it from iPad using ScreenSharing and VNC Client - no need for any WiFi router involvement. Click WiFi icon on Mac, and instead of joining a network, select "Create Network"... follow the process, then connect to that new network from iPad. Enable screen sharing on the Mac, install Mocha VNC on the iPad.

I have used Duet for a while but I thought it only works 'wired'.  I gave up with it because it only works for me over a short USB link and I wanted to use the iPad at the scope whilst my Mac is 5m away. It turned out to be too flaky over a 5m long powered  USB cable.  

I think there's something called Duet Air. I understand it costs $20 a year subscription. Maybe you're thinking of that? 

Your second paragraph is interesting. I'll look into that. 

@Marci Yep ... Mocha VNC works over the MacBook's network.  It's a tad laggy, but I guess usable for focusing up a camera and such like. Thanks for that. I've been trying to do this on and off for ages. Not Googling the right question probably. 

Apologies for hijacking the thread.   I'm glad I mentioned it now though. 🙂