Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polar Alignment

Tonight I went out to Polar Align from my new observatory, I’ve done this process pre-observatory  and never had any issues. I could clearly see Polaris with the naked eye. The issue I had, is that tonight, everything looked the same through the polar finder, I couldn’t  distinguish what was what. I have 20/20 vision, so even the stars you can’t see with the naked eye looked bright up against Polaris through the finder. 

I have Starsence, so I know from the manual, I only need to roughly polar align, but I still like to get Polaris inside the tiny circle. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? Maybe it was tonight’s viewing conditions, but normally Polaris is brighter then the faded stars around. 

I’m using the AVX mount with built in finder and I normally shine a red light over the top to light up the display. 

ATB 

Ben 

Yes I have picked the wrong star through the polar scope as Polaris before now when in a dark location.  Made very "interesting tracking and guiding".    🤣

Agree with Alan,

I now have Polemaster which finds the centre of rotation so it's not an issue.

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Its best to look for Polaris during twilight or even daylight, it stands out then or if you have an illuminated reticule turn it up so the dimmer stars vanish..

Alan

Thank you Alan, I’ll try again during twilight. 

* Thinking about it, I do normally polar align during twilight. I had a million things running through my mind this evening and rushed outside. 

Ben 

Edited by Benjam
  • Like 1