Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

dtastro

Beginner in astro imaging.

Posted (edited)

I started imaging about 10 days ago and had mixed success. I'm capturing in APT and stacking in APP, but my processing has been a bit hit and miss, the pics below have been re-processed as I've learned more.  Here are my efforts since starting. M45 -Pleiades, M31 - Andromeda, NGC7308 - Wizard Nebula and IC59 Ghost Nebula.  All taken with an Altair 183C Pro TEC, Esprit80ED and EQ6-R mount, captured with Astro Photographic Tools and stacked in Astro Pixel Process, finished off in Photoshop.

M45a.jpg

Dave Tyrer M31.jpg

70779005_10162207800545291_6192264078191230976_o.jpg

IC59b.jpg

Edited by dtastro
  • Like 11

I hate it when newcomers do a better job than I currently can... 😀

You like the 80ED?  Thinking of getting one myself.

Nice job!

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If this is how you start, then I dread (for my own sake) how you finish. :)

They're all great pictures. But I have a personal afinity for the Andromeda galaxy. Great shot.

I'm particularly fond of your Pleiades, myself. Ain't that APP a grand little program?

• Like 1

Those first two shots are better than anything I’ve managed to get of them in 15 years...

You are certainly a quick learner!

Awesome photos!

Is that camera a "budget" cooled camera or a mediocre one? 

And what is "APP"? 

APP is Astro Pixel Processor. Not as many features as PixInsight but pretty straightforward to learn and use. Gives IMO excellent results. Reputedly one of the very best packages for stitching mosaics.

These are truly excellent results for someone who is just 10 days in, you have clearly demonstrated that AP doesn’t have to take ages to get everything right.👍

Posted (edited)

I'm amazed at what you have managed to achieve in only 10 days.  It's always a  good idea to post up, the specs, ie camera, mount, (which you have done) filters if used, and number and length of exposures.  Plus possible total imaging time. 

Carole 

Edited by carastro

Amazing! Took me about 10 weeks to get the hang of APP never mind what you have achieved in 10 days. I hope you haven’t peaked too early 😂

Took me a long time to get anything near that also with lots of advice from Carole and tooth doctor along the way.

Very impressed 🙂

• Like 2

They're amazing much better than my first efforts 7 years ago, and are still better than some of ny more recent efforts.