Narrowband

Insurance

Hi all

Whats opinions regarding astronomy equipment insurance?

I've noticed that as time goes on I'm buying more and more bits and bobs and I had a scary thought regarding replacement costs if the equipment got stolen or damaged some how.

I've seen a few astronomy equipment specific insurers which cover at home and away with theft, accidental damage and so on, and was wondering if anyone has had experience with any or has any recommendations.

Cheers😁

First of all, welcome from Land Down Under

I am out a couple of times per month, with my club, doing presentations in schools and scout groups

I am currently insured through my local automobile association, and I have declared my equipment on my existing house and contents insurance

Costs me an additional $A20 a year on my policy, and covers been away from home

Initially insurance company previous with, tried to say, telescopes are sporting equipment, and not covered away from home

I went back to them, and said not sporting equipment, rather scientific instruments

They accepted that, and fully covered away from home as well

Our mobile phones, and Android tablets also covered, and they recorded serial numbers

Hope been of assistance

Happy viewing

John 

• Like 1

I have my camera equipment declared on my home insurance with all risks. It costs a few quid to cover it outside the home.. Its a small package with all my lenses in one bag so it could be easily dropped or stolen.

I have all risks on items below a certain value (I think about 3,000, below which I don't have to declare the item. None of my scopes would come near to this now especially with depreciation added in. I might add them in collectively to the policy as i would hate to have to replace them. SWMBO would not let me anyway and there is no cover against that !

• Like 1