Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Issues trying to stack images with Deep Sky Stacker

Hi, I'm having a go at some basic astrophotography and took some photos of the Andromeda galaxy, but I'm having trouble loading them into Deep Sky Stacker for stacking. 

I used my Canon EOS 2000D and took the photos in RAW format (CR2) but on attempting to load them into Deep Sky Stacker (I have version 4.2.2) I get a pop-up saying 'Sorry, LibRaw doesn't support your Canon EOS 2000D camera'. Any ideas on what I can do?

Also, don't know if it's related but when I opened to the RAW files using a program that let's you view these files they just looked pink? They looked absolutely fine on the camera screen.

36 minutes ago, Adam1234 said:

Hi, I'm having a go at some basic astrophotography and took some photos of the Andromeda galaxy, but I'm having trouble loading them into Deep Sky Stacker for stacking. 

I used my Canon EOS 2000D and took the photos in RAW format (CR2) but on attempting to load them into Deep Sky Stacker (I have version 4.2.2) I get a pop-up saying 'Sorry, LibRaw doesn't support your Canon EOS 2000D camera'. Any ideas on what I can do?

Also, don't know if it's related but when I opened to the RAW files using a program that let's you view these files they just looked pink? They looked absolutely fine on the camera screen.

Libraw doesn't support the EOS2000D, yet, Until it is supported DSS advise you to use the Adobe DNG convertor.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, I've now managed to convert them to DNG they open in DDS and also no longer appear pink when I open them with any other program. 

Now I've opened them in DDS now let's see if I can actually stack them...

12 hours ago, Adam1234 said:

Now I've opened them in DDS now let's see if I can actually stack them...

The stacking didn't work so well with the pics I took of the ring nebula, DSS only stacked 1 image out of 39 presumably because the surrounding stars had a very slight tailing and it only identified a couple stars at most. The stacked image came out worse than the individual images (which weren't that bad considering it was my first attempt at imaging through dslr).

I wasnt expecting anything amazing though considering it's my first proper attempt at imaging and I've only got an alt-az mount at the moment. Trying to learn the basics before I invest more money in equipment. I might try shorter exposure times next time (used 5 seconds before) and ensure the camera is fully focused.

I don't know if this is a stupid question? I understand that DSS works by looking at the stas in the pictures, what do you do if you've taken pictures of an object but there are no surrounding stars?

What lens did you use?

The camera shows the raw image in preview because the camera is effectively showing a jpeg conversion of it.

The No EQ Challenge thread has members who image within the confines of a tracking altaz mount.

Focus is key really. After registering your files make the highest scoring file your reference file and try stacking again. Use kappa sigma clipping

to register (under advanced select  star detection 2 then register this will be find more stars.but dont select stack.

then in the list click on score in the list and right click on the lowest score file and select use as reference frame then stack.

if you want it to stack all then select 100 percent to stack .

hope this helps

1 hour ago, Adam1234 said:

The stacking didn't work so well with the pics I took of the ring nebula, DSS only stacked 1 image out of 39 presumably because the surrounding stars had a very slight tailing and it only identified a couple stars at most. The stacked image came out worse than the individual images (which weren't that bad considering it was my first attempt at imaging through dslr).

I wasnt expecting anything amazing though considering it's my first proper attempt at imaging and I've only got an alt-az mount at the moment. Trying to learn the basics before I invest more money in equipment. I might try shorter exposure times next time (used 5 seconds before) and ensure the camera is fully focused.

I don't know if this is a stupid question? I understand that DSS works by looking at the stas in the pictures, what do you do if you've taken pictures of an object but there are no surrounding stars?

5seconds or less is not going to be much good, if it was with very fast glass and high ISO it might be ok.

1 hour ago, toxic said:

then in the list click on score in the list and right click on the lowest score file and select use as reference frame then stack.

Reading my Dark Art or Magic Bullet book when using a DSLR or OSC then it is the light frame with the highest score you mark as the reference frame.

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

What lens did you use?

The camera shows the raw image in preview because the camera is effectively showing a jpeg conversion of it.

The No EQ Challenge thread has members who image within the confines of a tracking altaz mount.

Focus is key really. After registering your files make the highest scoring file your reference file and try stacking again. Use kappa sigma clipping

I used a 2 x barlow between the telescope and camera, and attached the camera using a t adapter. 

I'll check out that thread you mentioned. 

What does the kappa sigma clipping do?

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

If there are no surrounding stars I suspect focus was off

I did have surrounding stars, they just had a slight amount of tailing, and some of them were dim. 

I just asked the question about surrounding stars as a thought

6 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

Why do you need a barlow?

Some people have said to use a barlow, others have said to not to, others have said to use the eyepiece projection method, so I'm just experimenting and seeing what works/doesn't work for me and my equipment.

On 04/10/2019 at 11:36, happy-kat said:

Reading my Dark Art or Magic Bullet book when using a DSLR or OSC then it is the light frame with the highest score you mark as the reference frame.

yes i agree but if it says will only stack 1 image then you need to select the lowest score as a reference frame so it will stack the rest.

DSS needs 8 stars in common (at least) to stack frames. If you can't get it to detect 8 due to trailing etc then try selecting superpixel mode for the debayering. In crude terms this reduces the resolution by 2x so makes it easier for DSS to detect stars.

NigelM

On 09/10/2019 at 13:27, dph1nm said:

DSS needs 8 stars in common (at least) to stack frames. If you can't get it to detect 8 due to trailing etc then try selecting superpixel mode for the debayering. In crude terms this reduces the resolution by 2x so makes it easier for DSS to detect stars.

NigelM

Thanks for this tip, I tried the superpixel mode and managed to get it to stack 19 out of my 39 frames. 

I'm pleased with the result for my first attempt at imaging, especially considering my equipment. Not sure the colours are quite right, I had a litttle play around with the colours on DSS but background slightly red. I've not done any further editing in photoshop as I don't have it. 

Here's my result: 

Ring Nebula.jpg