Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C/2018 W2 Africano - just about !

A surprise clear night here gave me the opportunity to have another peek at this comet now on its way between the Pisces circlet and Aquarius (near Neptune tomorrow evening).

I did manage to track it down but frankly it was hard work with the Takahashi 100mm refractor that I was using this evening. I think the comet has faded back to around magnitude 10 and the lowering altitude each evening adds some atmospheric extinction.

If the clouds allow the conjunction between Comet Africano 2018 and Neptune to be observed tomorrow evening I think I'm going to need to get the 12 inch dob out to make much of it.

Otherwise, had a nice scout around some binary stars including Theta Aurigae rising to the NE and a few brighter DSO's including NGC 404 (Mirach's Ghost) in Andromeda.

Really feels autumnal tonight - more layers needed to keep cosy !

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Got a look at Africano earlier using 10"SCT and cheating GoTo, not looking very hopeful for tomorrow ATM.

Did you catch C/2018 N2 (ASASSN) yet John ?

Dave

Not yet Dave - it seems to be listed as mag 12+ currently so I'll need the 12 inch dob for that one.

13 hours ago, John said:

I think the comet has faded back to around magnitude 10

Had the same impression this morning at 0h30min CEST under 5 mag skies with the 13.1" Odyssey. Dimmed  about 0.5 mags, and the coma diameter seems to be having shrinked as well to 4-5 arc min (but compromised by upcoming haze). Otherwise little change. Clouds rolled in after 15 mins, so I had to stop the search for pn NGC 246, the Skull nebula, well placed at this time.

Stephan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

.... You never know with the dob you might get one last glimpse if tomorrow is clear.

Marv

Thats true - last night was not supposed to be clear but I got some observing in because the forecast was incorrect. My scopes are quick to set up and tear down and right next to where I observe so I can be responsive when the opportunity presents itself :smiley:

Thanks to the 'Heads up'  I had the OO 12" out and cooling from 9pm last night, 2nd, and I had an enjoyable couple of hours. The transparency deteriorated over that time but I did see Neptune and Comet Africano, as well as a dozen Messiers, and the Witch's Broom....:happy11:

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've not had the chance to see it in the Dob : i have an opportunity next weekend at a darksite if it ever stops raining.

But maybe it will have moved too far south by then for me to see it.....?

I did see it at Kelling last month when it was in the Pegasus square with my refractor.

I was quite impressed with it ; although faint, it was the first comet i'd seen for a good few years.

Maybe Panstarrs next spring will put on a half decent show ?

6 minutes ago, Tubby Bear said:

But maybe it will have moved too far south by then for me to see it.....?

Think it's gone too low now, certainly has from here.

Asassan was nicely placed a few nights ago.

Dave

• Like 1